can i use steamlink on a shit wifi?

WolfLoverPro

my wifi gets a shitty

1mbps download and 0.70 upload according to speedtest net

so yeah.... steam link streams it right?

so now what

1 minute ago, WolfLoverPro said:

my wifi gets a shitty

so now what

I would recommend against it. I personally love my Steam Link...as long as it is wired. Wireless just makes it too choppy and inconsistent.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Those are your external upload/download speeds -- those are irrelevant for steamlink streaming (which is dependent on internal network speeds). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I was playing Civ 6 the other day over steam link. Crazy dropped frames and compression artifacts but it was playable. If you were playing something other than a turn based game you probably wouldn't be so lucky.

5 hours ago, WolfLoverPro said:

my wifi gets a shitty

so now what

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Those are your external upload/download speeds -- those are irrelevant for steamlink streaming (which is dependent on internal network speeds). 

I do agree with djdwosk. I think you are confusing internet and wifi. The wifi on your local network would/should be significantly and substantially better.

This doesn’t mean you will necessarily have a good experience, it all depends on your network coverage and speeds inregards to your connection from the gaming PC and the steamlink.

The experience of of playing games over the steamlink is also affected by the type of game you are playing. Twitch shooters are less favourable as they are more impacted by lag.

On 04/01/2018 at 4:33 AM, impure said:

I was playing Civ 6 the other day over steam link. Crazy dropped frames and compression artifacts but it was playable. If you were playing something other than a turn based game you probably wouldn't be so lucky.

Games I wanna play 

gta v 

far cry 4 

assassins creed syndicate 

rocket league 

ww2

can I play over WiFi or is it literally unplayable 

The only way to find out is to try it. Nobody here can tell you if your WiFi is good enough. There are too many external and environmental factors specific to your location that we can't possibly consider on your behalf.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

For best results, make sure the source device has a physical connection and use your routers 5ghz band (if available)

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

On 1/4/2018 at 12:21 AM, Ertman said:

I do agree with djdwosk. I think you are confusing internet and wifi. The wifi on your local network would/should be significantly and substantially better.

This doesn’t mean you will necessarily have a good experience, it all depends on your network coverage and speeds inregards to your connection from the gaming PC and the steamlink.

The experience of of playing games over the steamlink is also affected by the type of game you are playing. Twitch shooters are less favourable as they are more impacted by lag.

I would highly recommend against using steam-link on wi-fi. 
I ran mine wirelessly on a 150/150 and its about 15 feet from the router and i still get choppy and inconsistent streaming.

Try a cheap gigabit powerline adapter kit. It will at least be faster than WiFi and works with steam link.

8 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Try a cheap gigabit powerline adapter kit. It will at least be faster than WiFi and works with steam link.

I was thinking of trying that, then i decided to go crazy and run ethernet to ever room in the house from a 24port switch, through the wall and into ethernet outlets.

3 hours ago, johnukguy said:

I head of these 

can  they speed up my WiFi as I use WiFi adapter form upstairs on desktop 

but idk if it can get any faster download speed on steam 

as I never have tried testing downloads on Ethernet so I must be able to get a bit faster because cables always faster 

I normally get on steam 1.6 mbps so maybe it will increase to 2mvps ?

Powerline adapters mean that you don't need to use WiFi at all and get better speeds than WiFi. All you need to do is plug in an adapter, connected to your router, to the wall socket and another adapter in to the wall socket nearest the system that you are going to use steam link with. They cost about $40 for a decent gigabit adapter kit and are usually much faster than WiFi and are pretty much just plug and play.

14 hours ago, Jeff C said:

I was thinking of trying that, then i decided to go crazy and run ethernet to ever room in the house from a 24port switch, through the wall and into ethernet outlets.

LMAO! Or you could do that yes.