Memory running full even though paging file is active

Soooo I'm at a loss
I recently reinstalled Win10, and immediately changed my paging file from default.
I didn't even turn it off, instead used an old SSD I had no other use for as my windows Paging Drive (And or cache for Adobe programs)

But my RAM keeps running full, and I have no idea why.
I have 32GBs of RAM, and almost immediately after starting up windows about 24GB are already used up. (See Image 1)
After about 5 hours of use, it also runs full, and my computer gets ridiculously slow. So slow in fact I can't even shut down windows.

So I went back to the paging file settings and turned it to system managed (instead of the 60GB I gave it before)
And nothing changed. The computer still runs full and get's choppy.
Then I thought - hm maybe the drive is bunk, so I changed to my C drive (which is a Plextor PCIe drive with 2.5GB read speed) and it still happens. (See Image 2)

So now I have no idea why this happens. Something is really wrong with my windows.
Can anyone help?
For my full system just check my profile - however, I don't think it's the hardware.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

What's running while your RAM is being used this way? If you can post a screen shot of your Task Manager Process' window, and which programs are using the most memory, that might help narrow things down.

Really just Windows.
Right now chrome is using 2.5 GBs, and the rest is in the megabytes range.
let's say that's 3GBs for programs
Still 23GBs for JUST windows.

Image3.jpg

6 minutes ago, Aetohatir said:

Really just Windows.
Right now chrome is using 2.5 GBs, and the rest is in the megabytes range.
let's say that's 3GBs for programs
Still 23GBs for JUST windows.

Try sorting by the memory column. Even if it is Windows. There are different Windows background processes. If we can see the processes with the higher usage it will be helpful. 

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

58 background processes... Do you really need 58 processes running?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

58 background processes... Do you really need 58 processes running?

Probably not
Shouldn't change anything though.
It's not one of these processes.

Just now, Aetohatir said:

I'm telling you - It's not a program.

Image4.jpg

Better yet go back to the performance tab and open resource monitor. 

Then proceed to memory tab. Sort by working set column. This will tell you what processes are using the most memory currently. 

I forgot how dumb the task manager was.

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

Just now, Aetohatir said:

Probably not
Shouldn't change anything though.
It's not one of these processes.

Correct, it's a culmination of ALL the processes and threads that is sapping your memory dry. either that or you have a really bad memory leak.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

4 minutes ago, xboxonthego3 said:

Better yet go back to the performance tab and open resource monitor. 

There you go

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

you have a really bad memory leak.

Yeah - I was suspecting something like that as well.

What's the best course of action here? Should I reinstall Windows again?

Image5.jpg

55 minutes ago, Aetohatir said:

There you go

Yeah - I was suspecting something like that as well.

What's the best course of action here? Should I reinstall Windows again?

Hmmm few things to try.

Go back to your paging file settings. Check the top checkbox. "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives". See if that makes a difference. 

From what I can see it doesn't appear to be a major memory leak unless a program has several processes consuming a large sum of memory. 

I would also try rebooting pc and not starting any program. As well as limit start up programs. Slowly start programs that you think might be the culprit. And monitor memory usage. 

I'll try that tomorrow - still have to do stuff for Uni *sigh
Thanks for the suggestion

Stay tuned

*update
So I tested your suggestion out
Disabled all of my startup programs, and programs that still start themselves even though I can't disable them I just uninstalled (like Teamviewer).
Shut down my Computer, booted it back up. Still at 70%
Was really confused.
Tested a bunch of things out. Ended up disabling the "Get tips, tricks and suggestions as you use Windows" setting inside the settings. (not that I used it I just didn't disable it)
then I restarted and lo and behold memory usage back down at just 7%.
I didn't think it was because of that setting, as in the past week my computer sometimes had full RAM, and sometimes it started normally.
So I started to think that maybe my computer acted normal whenever I restart my computer but act weird whenever I normally shut it down and then boot it back up.

So I shut it down and booted it back up. and for some reason, it just fixed itself. Memory usage is normal again, even when I normally just boot it up.

So yeah. It works for now. If I ever get that issue again I'll test my hypotheses, and update you. If I don't write anything it might have been the windows tips and tricks setting though.
Long term I'll probably try to reinstall Windows. 
But that for semester break.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, Aetohatir said:

*update
Disabled all of my startup programs, and programs that still start themselves even though I can't disable them I just uninstalled (like Teamviewer).
Was really confused.
Tested a bunch of things out. Ended up disabling the "Get tips, tricks and suggestions as you use Windows" setting inside the settings. (not that I used it I just didn't disable it)
I didn't think it was because of that setting, as in the past week my computer sometimes had full RAM, and sometimes it started normally.
So I started to think that maybe my computer acted normal whenever I restart my computer but act weird whenever I normally shut it down and then boot it back up.

So I shut it down and booted it back up. and for some reason, it just fixed itself. Memory usage is normal again, even when I normally just boot it up.

So yeah. It works for now. If I ever get that issue again I'll test my hypotheses, and update you. If I don't write anything it might have been the windows tips and tricks setting though.

Sweet! I'm glad you got it working in the mean time!

On 1/8/2018 at 5:54 PM, Aetohatir said:

*update
Was really confused.

since one of the last windows updates, windows 10 doesn't shut down completely any more if you just hit shut down. That means it goes into a sort of hibernation mode and if you start it back up the memory is pretty much restored from the last session. I have the same problem sometimes. Some programs just clog up the memory for some reason and you have to do a restart for the memory to clear, if you just shut down the problem will persist. Hope this gets fixed at some point, really its the fault of the programs that clog up the memory...