1070 Shortage in past few days?

So first off, please immediately notify me if this is not the proper place for this discussion, however,if it is, I have been saving for a pc for quite a few months now, and have acquired around $1400, and my initial plans were this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6BWTvV  

However, as you can tell, it is around $1571 as of writing this post. Now, what I have seen this past week is the 1070 going from $380 up to $460, and the 1070 ti going from $450 to $550.

Now, because most websites have been saying "out of stock", without saying a new shipment will be in soon, I assume there is a shortage.

First of all, where are these gpu's going, am I being stupid and not looking at the right sites, or is there something going on just recently? Or was I just previously seeing amazing prices, and now those have sold out and normalized to previous prices? I really am not sure, and I want some help. Now, and yes I know it is a bit overkill, but I wanted to run a 1070 for 1920x1080p so I could guarantee max graphics and 60fps. Is that worth the price hike, or should I just settle with the 1060 6gb? 

Thank you,

-Potato

While graphics cards don't get cheaper, there are things you could do to lessen the price of the rest of the build. 

1) Hyper 212 EVO rather than the NH-L9, it's cheaper and will perform better

2) There are cheaper fans, $60 for case fans is a bit extreme (Corsair SP120 fans are like $8/each)

3) You should probably opt for a slightly better power supply. I would opt for 550W for this system. (I know this adds money). Check this list.

4) There is cheaper RAM

5) If you are opting for a "gaming" build and won't be doing much else, check out the i5 8400 (turbo up to 4.0 GHz). It is about the same price, 6 cores, and will perform better single threaded which will give you a slight improvement in frame rates. 

And finally, the 1060 6GB will give you 60+ FPS at 1080p and very high or ultra in basically every game, the 1070ti or 1070 is probably unnecessary. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

8 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

While graphics cards don't get cheaper, there are things you could do to lessen the price of the rest of the build. 

1) Hyper 212 EVO rather than the NH-L9, it's cheaper and will perform better

2) There are cheaper fans, $60 for case fans is a bit extreme (Corsair SP120 fans are like $8/each)

3) You should probably opt for a slightly better power supply. I would opt for 550W for this system. (I know this adds money). Check this list.

4) There is cheaper RAM

5) If you are opting for a "gaming" build and won't be doing much else, check out the i5 8400 (turbo up to 4.0 GHz). It is about the same price, 6 cores, and will perform better single threaded which will give you a slight improvement in frame rates. 

And finally, the 1060 6GB will give you 60+ FPS at 1080p and very high or ultra in basically every game, the 1070ti or 1070 is probably unnecessary. 

So, I have several problems here. First off, I will be delving into editing, thus the R5 1600, secondly, according to many forums, the hyper 212 evo doesn't ship with an AM4 bracket, and I don't have time to lose asking and proving with cooler master that I bought the evo. Thirdly, agreed. 4th, with ryzen especially, faster ram will net you quite a performance jump. I could take some 2666 ram and oc it, or just by 3000. I opted for 3000. 5, again, listed in number 2. And on number 2, yes there are cheaper fans, and I was planning on buying them later anyhow. But noctua fans simply won't die, and they are extremely quite, which I will be recording with my pc most likely on my desk right behind the mic. 

Just now, PotatoWithaLaser said:

So, I have several problems here. First off, I will be delving into editing, thus the R5 1600, secondly, according to many forums, the hyper 212 evo doesn't ship with an AM4 bracket, and I don't have time to lose asking and proving with cooler master that I bought the evo. Thirdly, agreed. 4th, with ryzen especially, faster ram will net you quite a performance jump. I could take some 2666 ram and oc it, or just by 3000. I opted for 3000. 5, again, listed in number 2. And on number 2, yes there are cheaper fans, and I was planning on buying them later anyhow. But noctua fans simply won't die, and they are extremely quite, which I will be recording with my pc most likely on my desk right behind the mic. 

All valid points, if you are doing editing, Ryzen definitely is the better option. I don't know about the cooler being shipped with an AM4 bracket, but I would definitely look for something greater than that Noctua, it really is meant to be used in cases where low profile is a must, basically only a couple of steps ahead of a stock cooler. The cheaper RAM that I linked is 3000Mhz. 

Back to the GPU discussion, if you are not afraid of buying used. The 980ti has about the same performance as the 1070 and can be found (on eBay at least) going for about $350 on auction. Disclaimer - if you go that route, be careful, used hardware can be tricky to buy.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

2 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

All valid points, if you are doing editing, Ryzen definitely is the better option. I don't know about the cooler being shipped with an AM4 bracket, but I would definitely look for something greater than that Noctua, it really is meant to be used in cases where low profile is a must, basically only a couple of steps ahead of a stock cooler. The cheaper RAM that I linked is 3000Mhz. 

Back to the GPU discussion, if you are not afraid of buying used. The 980ti has about the same performance as the 1070 and can be found (on eBay at least) going for about $350 on auction. Disclaimer - if you go that route, be careful, used hardware can be tricky to buy.

Agreed, and I will probably just downgrade to the 1060 6gb before I buy an older gpu off of ebay.

I have noticed this, Newegg is out of a lot of cards with the prices jacked up.  My previous Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 now is goign for $460, which is outrageous 

I have said this countless times but I think whether you by now or when Volta comes out the demand due to various reasons will continue making this a sellers market

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

12 minutes ago, Jrasero said:

I have noticed this, Newegg is out of a lot of cards with the prices jacked up.  My previous Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 now is goign for $460, which is outrageous 

I have said this countless times but I think whether you by now or when Volta comes out the demand due to various reasons will continue making this a sellers market

Agreed, just wanted confirmation that I'm not going crazy. Sucks still, but nothing we can do.