Does it still support 144hz?

Hello! I have two 144hz monitor and I wanna connect one monitor with one hdmi 2.0 and the other one with dvi but the monitor has dvi-i dual link and the graphics card support dvi-d dual link, so can I use a dvi-i to dvi-d cable does it still support 144hz?

my monitor has 1 dvi-i port, 1 hdmi port and one vga port

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yes.

Oh but the dvi cable doesnt support sound so, can I use hdmi to two hdmi does it still support 144hz?

DVI-I and DVI-D are identical when it comes down to the digital output, only difference is that the I also carries analog signal if needed, therefore dual link DVI-D to dual link DVI-I will still provide you 1080p144hz.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Danny7811 said:

Oh but the dvi cable doesnt support sound so, can I use hdmi to two hdmi does it still support 144hz?

HDMI will support 144Hz as well. You can also use DisplayPort if your GPU/monitor support that.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Danny7811 said:

It depends on the HDMI revision, could buy a Dual Link DVI to HDMI cable like these:

1-m-1-5-m-2-m-3-m-5-m-10-m-hdmi-para-dvi

They carry out sound, I was rather amazed when I first saw it work on my old GTX 560 Ti, connected DVI-I of the GPU on the HDMI of the TV and sound! much wow!

you can read the old thread here if you want:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

HDMI will support 144Hz as well. You can also use DisplayPort if your GPU/monitor support that.

Ok, thanks for the reply!

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

It depends on the HDMI revision, could buy a Dual Link DVI to HDMI cable like these:

I feel like the gpu have to support audio out from the dvi port which i remember was a thing on old video cards but not sure if new ones still do that. 

much in the same way new gpu's no longer output analog signals via the dvi port

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

I feel like the gpu have to support audio out from the dvi port which i remember was a thing on old video cards but not sure if new ones still do that.

That was a feature of DVI-I which is present up to Maxwell cards, only Pascal ditched it for the DVI-D only.

Personal Desktop":

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

That was a feature of DVI-I which is present up to Maxwell cards, only Pascal ditched it for the DVI-D only.

I mean audio transmission via dvi i think isn't universal. At least that's how it is on my hd 2000-3000 series cards as back in the day those cards didn't have native hdmi , and nvidia gpu didn't either and needed audio passthrough from the motherboard before they started using their own onboard audio

Some DVI-D sources use non-standard extensions to output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series).[9] Some multimedia displays use a DVI to HDMI adapter to input the HDMI signal with audio. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications.

basically i don't think modern gpu's output audio via dvi anymore now that they have native hdmi.

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'm running audio over dvi on 2 pascal cards right now.

1 hour ago, Danny7811 said:

Hello! I have two 144hz monitor and I wanna connect one monitor with one hdmi 2.0 and the other one with dvi but the monitor has dvi-i dual link and the graphics card support dvi-d dual link, so can I use a dvi-i to dvi-d cable does it still support 144hz?

my monitor has 1 dvi-i port, 1 hdmi port and one vga port

You may want to read the cable guide at the top of this section.