i5 7600k running at 100% usage but cant even run Overwatch

I build my friend a computer just at the end of 2017 (before Ryzen!), with a 7600k CPU and the asus strix 1070. The first couple of days it worked perfectly, with 100+ Fps on Overwatch, but when he tried to install Rocket League, the game only ran with 1-2 Fps. The next day he couldnt even run Overwatch (0-1 Fps). I then made him check task manager at, and he said that it the CPU usage was at 100% constantly (80-90% from Overwatch, 10 or so from Discord). I then searched the webs and found only people wondering why the CPU usage was so high, but none had less than 70 Fps. The motherboard is a h270 so no overclocking (his choice).

System specs:

i5 7600K

Asus Strix 1070

Asus ROG Strix H270F Gaming

G.Skill FlareX 16 gb

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but it may take a little time for me to response, cause i dont have the computer that close.

i suspect malware, and suggest a clean install, there is no reason that CPU should be running at 100%. 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

how about trying to find out what’s using up all the cpu power than immediately hopping onto the “Yup it’s done, let’s kill it and rebuild it again” train? :P

I'd suggest running task manager before you even start any game and find the process demanding the cpu.

7 hours ago, Vacras said:

how about trying to find out what’s using up all the cpu power than immediately hopping onto the “Yup it’s done, let’s kill it and rebuild it again” train? :P

I'd suggest running task manager before you even start any game and find the process demanding the cpu.

^

My guess is Windows updates if you're using Win10. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Make sure he has the HDMI cable plugged into the GPU and not the Motherboard, you could also try a clean install but take a look at task manager and look at what's taking up all of the usage.