New Build, old SSD - Problem?

paps511

Hello All,

I am refreshing my 3 year old computer but I am NOT replacing the SSD or HDDs

How do I put the old SSD into the new tower with new MoBo, CPU etc and retain the copy of windows? Is this possible?

The computer was originally purchased with Windows 8.1 from iBuypower, and then was upgraded to windows 10 during their free upgrade promotion.

What is the easiest way to move the SSD and HDDs to the new tower and retain all my files and whatnot

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Considering that you've purchased the old computer from an OEM, the license that it came with is OEM. Meaning you can't transfer Windows to another computer.

So I would have to buy a new Win10 license? and put it on the old SSD once it is installed in the new computer?

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

3 minutes ago, paps511 said:

So I would have to buy a new Win10 license? and put it on the old SSD once it is installed in the new computer?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes and yes.

Not quite, you can transfer OEM copies of windows between motherboards if you call microsoft.

just know that you'll be wasting a hour or so on the phone.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4