Building a media server (plex), with an AMD FX8350, without GPU

MrSuper
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

It depends on the motherboard for the most part. If you just install a server OS that's designed to be controlled remotely, not having a GPU isn't an issue. However, whether the system will even POST without a display output depends on if the board supports booting headless. 

Bear in mind that if it doesn't, then it will require a GPU and typically something to output to as well. I run a FreeNAS server which boots into the OS fine without me doing anything other than turning it on, but the board won't boot headless so I need a monitor to boot. You can get dummy monitors though, which basically trick the GPU into thinking there's a display there, allowing a system to boot while basically being headless. So worst case scenario, you just need to buy a super cheap GPU and a dummy monitor/headless adaptor to make the system think there's a monitor connected and it should boot. 

Alright, so I have an AMD FX8350, motherboard ram, psu and all that - but no spare GPU. My question is: will the computer still function without the GPU, as the AMD FX8350 doesn't have integrated graphics. So, will the following work:

Build the system and set up the server with a GPU.

Shutdown, take out GPU.

Start up. - will windows load without GPU? (i will have no screen to see so.)

Server starts automatically and the pc runs without a display and gpu.

To be honest, I don't think it will. But I would like to hear your guys' opinions.

It depends on the motherboard for the most part. If you just install a server OS that's designed to be controlled remotely, not having a GPU isn't an issue. However, whether the system will even POST without a display output depends on if the board supports booting headless. 

Bear in mind that if it doesn't, then it will require a GPU and typically something to output to as well. I run a FreeNAS server which boots into the OS fine without me doing anything other than turning it on, but the board won't boot headless so I need a monitor to boot. You can get dummy monitors though, which basically trick the GPU into thinking there's a display there, allowing a system to boot while basically being headless. So worst case scenario, you just need to buy a super cheap GPU and a dummy monitor/headless adaptor to make the system think there's a monitor connected and it should boot.