Fibre vs. Cable? Bell vs Rogers

sid0195
1 hour ago, Egg-Roll said:

I've been with them for about 6 years now :P great people but the stupid TPIA BS Bell is pulling is the reason why I'm getting crappy connection... It gets better once a week usually at night on the weekend.

I doubt it's the modem or wiring as when i put this modem into use about 6 months ago it went from 3500+- 500 all the way to full 7000 with a top speed of 24000, stayed there for about a week. It then went to 5000 with a top speed of 7000...

Weirdest thing is losing internet for upwards to 5 minutes but the modem never disconnects and displays I have it...

I own this thing:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1059_1060&item_id=090394

Hmm have you worked with TekSavvy to diagnose the issue? It's likely a line issue (not your line, but the last mile), or an issue further down the network.

Of course it could simply be oversubscribing too by Bell.

I personally always use a Dedicated Modem, when at all possible. When I had DSL through TekSavvy, I used a Thompson SpeedTouch 516 modem, with a dedicated router.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Hmm have you worked with TekSavvy to diagnose the issue? It's likely a line issue (not your line, but the last mile), or an issue further down the network.

Of course it could simply be oversubscribing too by Bell.

I personally always use a Dedicated Modem, when at all possible. When I had DSL through TekSavvy, I used a Thompson SpeedTouch 516 modem, with a dedicated router.

Yup only thing really left to do is to initialize a support ticket which if Bell decides it's not their end i get a lovely $50 charge...

I could rewire the phone line inside but that's too much hassle to really do, mostly due to lining the route again. That and the likelihood its the actual wall wire is unlikely, as its out of reach of animals and what i could tell is intact (95% is in walls).

I buy my modems locally Amazons selection sucks or always overpriced. Buying from TS has crossed my mind but can't really be bothered to do it. I got the modem for VDSL not for WIFI, I actually had it disabled for 3 months till the Dlink decided to disown a few devices, I couldn't be arsed to figure out why so i just set it up instead.

21 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Yup only thing really left to do is to initialize a support ticket which if Bell decides it's not their end i get a lovely $50 charge...

I could rewire the phone line inside but that's too much hassle to really do, mostly due to lining the route again. That and the likelihood its the actual wall wire is unlikely, as its out of reach of animals and what i could tell is intact (95% is in walls).

I buy my modems locally Amazons selection sucks or always overpriced. Buying from TS has crossed my mind but can't really be bothered to do it. I got the modem for VDSL not for WIFI, I actually had it disabled for 3 months till the Dlink decided to disown a few devices, I couldn't be arsed to figure out why so i just set it up instead.

Check out Canada Computers, if there's one local. They usually have one or two DSL modems (dedicated units) on sale.

Anyway, Bell tries to scare you with the $50 charge, but you seriously need to have TekSavvy initiate a support ticket with Bell. The chances that you'll have to pay the charge is very small.

And if they claim that you need to pay the charge, fight them. TekSavvy will generally stand up for you in these cases, especially if the cause is still "unknown".

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Check out Canada Computers, if there's one local. They usually have one or two DSL modems (dedicated units) on sale.

Anyway, Bell tries to scare you with the $50 charge, but you seriously need to have TekSavvy initiate a support ticket with Bell. The chances that you'll have to pay the charge is very small.

And if they claim that you need to pay the charge, fight them. TekSavvy will generally stand up for you in these cases, especially if the cause is still "unknown".

There's a Canada Computers 15-20 min walk from me :D

They do have a Dlink 520B on sale but i find it to be cheap garbage (had a previous versions simply die on me for no reason), but I'll pick one up anyways and see if there's a change. Only other option is only in Quebec... Plus TP-Link no longer makes Modems :(, and CC only has 3 ADSL modems and 2 VDSL..

I'm not overly all worried about the charge it's simply the hassle associated with it...

1 hour ago, Egg-Roll said:

There's a Canada Computers 15-20 min walk from me :D

They do have a Dlink 520B on sale but i find it to be cheap garbage (had a previous versions simply die on me for no reason), but I'll pick one up anyways and see if there's a change. Only other option is only in Quebec... Plus TP-Link no longer makes Modems :(, and CC only has 3 ADSL modems and 2 VDSL..

I'm not overly all worried about the charge it's simply the hassle associated with it...

What plan do you pay for? I wouldn't bother with a VDSL modem unless you actually need it. I find that generally the ADSL modems work better anyway lol.

Yeah I just checked their site... man their selection for DSL modems has really gone down. Not surprising though, considering the higher popularity of DOCSIS in Ontario.

38 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What plan do you pay for? I wouldn't bother with a VDSL modem unless you actually need it. I find that generally the ADSL modems work better anyway lol.

Yeah I just checked their site... man their selection for DSL modems has really gone down. Not surprising though, considering the higher popularity of DOCSIS in Ontario.

I have the 6, thought i had the 7 but that's not a big issue as when the connection supports it i get 7 speeds anyways lol...

Only reason why I got VDSL was for the ability to have 10mbps upload, no other reason.

I think the reason why they have limited selection is also because CISCO doesn't make them anymore along with TP-Link, there is another company as well that no longer makes them but i can't recall the name, they have the quantities just not selection. Yea, check rogers just now apparently I can get 1Gbps, but like I said i can't be bothered to deal with them and the fact this place isn't fitted with cable already... Weird thing is tho with teksavvy is when i clicked upgrade my package business came up with 50mbps yet no residential, that only goes up to 25...

• 8 months later...

What Bell advertises as "Pure Fibre Internet" is FTTP which is by far the best (1gbps down/940mbps up). Only in Toronto ATM. 

4 hours ago, Hellofuglys said:

What Bell advertises as "Pure Fibre Internet" is FTTP which is by far the best (1gbps down/940mbps up). Only in Toronto ATM. 

Telus does the same in all urban fibre neighbourhoods. Everywhere else has 300mbps

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

• 11 months later...

based on my experiance with sasktel, don't compete with bell but still in canada I can say this

DSL, like bell is offering, I have yet to have any issues obtaining my speeds.

fiber, same as dsl, how ever the services I use can't max out the connection. Not sasktel's fault but the server I am connecting to

Shaw, like rogers same as sasktel fiber.

DSL shouldn't slow down unless bell is underfeeding there network. I have always got full speed 24/7 on dsl

cable, could be an issue. docsis 3.1 is 10gbps to the node. Feeding 1-100+ customers. Local cable provider advertises upto 300 and everyone I have talked to gets 150-200 tops. 

Also I don't relly on ISP equipment anymore than I have to, both shaw and sasktel are in bridgemode and use my own AP,switches setup

On 1/1/2018 at 8:29 PM, sid0195 said:

So i'm looking to get a new internet plan and its come down to Bell Fibe 50 and a couple of Rogers plans, Ignite 150u and Ignite 500u. As far as I know, Bell uses Fibre whereas Rogers uses cable. Bell is offering 50/10 whereas Rogers is offering 150/15, 500/20. What would be better? Theres about a $5-10 difference between the plans, is cable really that much worse than Fibre?

My personal opinion - neither.

Check out third party providers because Roger's/Bell's "promotional" pricing has an end date meaning that when the promotion time limit runs out, you can be paying significantly more.

I use Netfox now and they've been fantastic.

I'm literally at about a 99.99994% uptime, and my 60 Mbps package has progressively and automatically dropped in price as the cost of providing the service has decreased on the part of Netfox. And I can also routinely and consistently get around 70 Mbps on that line as well and I only pay $59.95/month for it.

Bell recently installed fibre in our neighbourhood and they were trying to sell me on a plan, but Bell tried to screw me over when they still had usage based billing that they sent me a letter saying that if I continued using my volume capped internet as though it were unlimited internet, that there was going to be no finite amount that they would charge me for the extra volume.

So...eff that. And eff them.

I don't trust any of the Big 3. TPIA is the way to go, IMO.

And with the exception of Comwave, I've had good experiences with TekSavvy and Netfox. (Teksavvy is a little more expensive than Netfox for the same line rates.)

IB >>> ETH