Do I need a new router?

Yana

Hello, I always play PC games with no lag whatsoever when it comes to connection, but sadly on the other hand my older brother, who plays PS4, lags a butt ton through wireless. My mother wants to get a new Modem..or would it be router? Because she doesn't like making payments to Century Link for 10$ per month. Now, would i need a router or Modem for internet? and what is a good "gaming" router/modem or just a good modem/router in general

The ps4 actually just has a bad reciever, they cheaped out. Getting a new modem/router would help, but it's not going to gloss over the fact that the overlaying issue is that sony's cheap antenna and 'use-what-you-need' throttling. Best option is to only go hardline in with the ps4.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

2 minutes ago, Navid Jamali said:

The ps4 actually just has a bad reciever, they cheaped out. Getting a new modem/router would help, but it's not going to gloss over the fact that the overlaying issue is that sony's cheap antenna and 'use-what-you-need' throttling. Best option is to only go hardline in with the ps4.

hardline as in putting an ethernet cable in the back?

What kind of service do you have? VDSL2, ADSL, ADSL2+?

I would look at the Technicolor C2100T since it seems to have the widest range of support (all of the above listed) and doesn't look too bad either.

1 minute ago, Yana said:

hardline as in putting an ethernet cable in the back?

Yes

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

What kind of service do you have? VDSL2, ADSL, ADSL2+?

I would look at the Technicolor C2100T since it seems to have the widest range of support (all of the above listed) and doesn't look too bad either.

Yes

um.... if you mean service...... i do not know. How would i find out?

Just now, Yana said:

Most companies have a page for compatible modems, easiest solution is to google 'brand' followed by 'compatible modems'

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 minute ago, Yana said:

What speed are you all paying for?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

What speed are you all paying for?

100mbps 50upload

1 minute ago, Navid Jamali said:

Most companies have a page for compatible modems, easiest solution is to google 'brand' followed by 'compatible modems'

well idk if this will help but my MODEM is a century link C2000T

what company do you get internet from?

1 minute ago, Yana said:

100mbps 50upload

Then it's most likely Bonded VDSL2 or maybe GPON, both of which the Technicolor C2100T and C2000T support :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Navid Jamali said:

what company do you get internet from?

Century link

Just now, Yana said:

CenturyLink uses DSL technology which requires a compatible router. You can probably disable the wireless and use your own router plugged into a box compatible on their network but you HAVE to use a supported box.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

CenturyLink uses DSL technology which requires a compatible router. You can probably disable the wireless and use your own router plugged into a box compatible on their network but you HAVE to use a supported box.

Atm my router is a belkin f9k1103v1

Just now, Yana said:

Atm my router is a belkin f9k1103v1

You could swap out that for the Netgear, and swap out the CenturyLink box for the C2100T instead, or just ask them if you can buy the existing box so you don't have to pay a rental fee.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You could swap out that for the Netgear, and swap out the CenturyLink box for the C2100T instead, or just ask them if you can buy the existing box so you don't have to pay a rental fee.

Yea, would that be the only choice? or could we buy like a netgear modem or something

3 minutes ago, Yana said:

Yea, would that be the only choice? or could we buy like a netgear modem or something

You would have to buy something that supports Bonded VDSL2 from the list of supported boxes on the CenturyLink site. If it's not listed they can refuse to allow it on their network.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

wait... so i need a century link modem? what about my router? can i get the ERRO?

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You would have to buy something that supports Bonded VDSL2 from the list of supported boxes on the CenturyLink site. If it's not listed they can refuse to allow it on their network.

wait... so i need a century link modem? what about my router? can i get the ERRO?

Just now, Yana said:

You need a compatible modem, yes. You can buy your own, so long as it's on the list, and not have to pay the rental fee, or if you want to keep paying the rental fee then you don't need to buy one.

You can get anything you want for the router that will go behind the modem. (Line In > CenturyLink Modem/Router > Your Router)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You need a compatible modem, yes. You can buy your own, so long as it's on the list, and not have to pay the rental fee, or if you want to keep paying the rental fee then you don't need to buy one.

You can get anything you want for the router that will go behind the modem. (Line In > CenturyLink Modem/Router > Your Router)

and ill know if its compatible if it supports VDSL2