Is a usb wifi adapter okay for gaming?

Cantaloupeman

So i do not have an ethernet connection in my room so i bought an asus usb wifi adapter. Im already experiencing lag in fortnite although that could just be the game. My question is, will there be a noticeable difference between when i had my wired ethernet connection in the other room?

I never had any problems with a USB dongle, but there is a very good chance you'll see a noticeable difference between USB and wired ethernet.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I never had any problems with a USB dongle, but there is a very good chance you'll see a noticeable difference between USB and wired ethernet.

Like in terms of lag? 

Just now, Cantaloupeman said:

Like in terms of lag? 

In terms of lag, I've never experienced it while wired. You will get less if you use an ethernet cable instead of wireless

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

In terms of lag, I've never experienced it while wired. You will get less if you use an ethernet cable instead of wireless

shat about the powerline adapters?

Just now, charbel1011 said:

shat about the powerline adapters?

Come again? You just totally confused me haha

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Come again? You just totally confused me haha

what about the powerline adapters? are they good because im running same problem as this guy no ethernet in my room and there's no

option for ethernet

1 minute ago, charbel1011 said:

what about the powerline adapters? are they good because im running same problem as this guy no ethernet in my room and there's no

option for ethernet

I've never used those, so I really wouldn't be able to answer that.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

do unicorns exist? haha jk 

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What about phone line connectors? I have a phone line wall socket installed in my room. I am not sure if that can be swapped for ethernet somehow?

16 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

option for ethernet

I had one of those and it really depends on your circumstances. If your electric cicuit is bad or there is a lot of wire between the 2 plugs then the signal will be bad. I had 30 then changed the router position got 80 and then when trying 5g wirless i got a 115 but it wasnt as steady and had to like increase.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

27 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I am getting 2.6 mb/s when downloading a game in steam. Is that bad? With ethernet i usually get 13-20

The wirless dongles are perfectly fine. Im using one and its working breat. Just make sure its dual band.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

1 minute ago, Vandorlot said:

The wirless dongles are perfectly fine. Im using one and its working breat. Just make sure its dual band.

What like 2.4ghz?

Just now, Cantaloupeman said:

I am getting 2.6 mb/s when downloading a game in steam. Is that bad? With ethernet i usually get 13-20

Its nit bad cause i used to get 1.2 but it should be better. I think you are on a 2.4 ghz betwork. So tonwuickly explain to you there 2.4 and 5 ghz networks. 2.4 has a farther connection but js slower and 5 is faster but has a smaller distance. For me changing between 2.4 and 5 had a drastic improvment. Please send me your router and if ipyour like renting it the name and also s link to the wifi adapter and I will check which one it is.

My Rig

Peripherals

1 minute ago, Cantaloupeman said:

What like 2.4ghz?

Dual band means it supports 2.4 and 5ghz. 5ghz is better in most hkme scensarios. You could also check which type of connection you have. I dint have access to my pc so i cant check but if i remember correctly you have to go into command prompt and then type “ipconfig”. Then try typing the gateway number or the ipv4 and jt should connect you to your router you might have to log in. In there you should be able to check connections.

My Rig

Peripherals

2 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Its nit bad cause i used to get 1.2 but it should be better. I think you are on a 2.4 ghz betwork. So tonwuickly explain to you there 2.4 and 5 ghz networks. 2.4 has a farther connection but js slower and 5 is faster but has a smaller distance. For me changing between 2.4 and 5 had a drastic improvment. Please send me your router and if ipyour like renting it the name and also s link to the wifi adapter and I will check which one it is.

Here is the adapter. I did a speed test on xfinity and it came up with 6.78mbps download and 3.02mbps upload. Is this good? I have no clue what that means. https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USB-AC53-Nano/

36 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

So i do not have an ethernet connection in my room so i bought an asus usb wifi adapter. Im already experiencing lag in fortnite although that could just be the game. My question is, will there be a noticeable difference between when i had my wired ethernet connection in the other room?

Here is my two cents. USB adapters tend to suck. Why? Well the newer AC wireless standard, the wireless chips get hot, and USB sticks dont have good cooling options. Internal PCIexpress WiFi cards tend to be better. WiFi has more latency, which means you will get a higher ping, this also depends on the quality of your connection.

As others have mentioned. You can get Power Line Adapters. The only thing is, you need to have newer wiring in the walls for them to work good, speeds and reliability will depend on how far the signal has to travel over the wires and how many circuit breakers you need to go thru.

There is also MOCA, which uses Coax instead of power cabling in the walls. Its a better standard as long as the coax in the walls is not too old and shitty. Though these adapters are expensive. Though I also heard they have higher latency then Ethernet.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Here is the adapter. I did a speed test on xfinity and it came up with 6.78mbps download and 3.02mbps upload. Is this good? I have no clue what that means. https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USB-AC53-Nano/

Try speedtest on speedtest.net  The wifi adapter is fine, but do the imstructions up above to see what conn3ction you are on. You should hvae 2wifi signals and one of them is 5ghz and lne is 2.4 ghz. Ok so 8megabits is equal to 1 megabyte. 6 megabits then that under 1 megabyte which is bad.

My Rig

Peripherals

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Here is my two cents. USB adapters tend to suck. Why? Well the newer AC wireless standard, the wireless chips get hot, and USB sticks dont have good cooling options. Internal PCIexpress WiFi cards tend to be better. WiFi has more latency, which means you will get a higher ping, this also depends on the quality of your connection.

As others have mentioned. You can get Power Line Adapters. The only thing is, you need to have newer wiring in the walls for them to work good, speeds and reliability will depend on how far the signal has to travel over the wires and how many circuit breakers you need to go thru.

There is also MOCA, which uses Coax instead of power cabling in the walls. Its a better standard as long as the coax in the walls is not too old and shitty. Though these adapters are expensive. Though I also heard they have higher latency then Ethernet.  

Powerline adapters are slower than ethernet and have higher latency.

My Rig

Peripherals

Try speedtest on speedtest.net  The wifi adapter is fine, but do the imstructions up above to see what conn3ction you are on. You should hvae 2wifi signals and one of them is 5ghz and lne is 2.4 ghz. Ok so 8megabits is equal to 1 megabyte. 6 megabits then that under 1 megabyte which is bad.

Download
Mbps

UPLOAD

Mbps

Powerline adapters are slower than ethernet and have higher latency.

Yeah but Wireless has a lot more latency and are less reliable. Every thing has higher latency that Ethernet with exception of Fiber. 

Download
Mbps

UPLOAD

Mbps

Thats still pretty bad. What speeds are you pr interent supposed to be. Also di this

9 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

You could also check which type of connection you have. I dint have access to my pc so i cant check but if i remember correctly you have to go into command prompt and then type “ipconfig”. Then try typing the gateway number or the ipv4 and jt should connect you to your router you might have to log in. In there you should be able to check connections.

My Rig

Peripherals

10 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

Is this good?

How close is that number to the speed you pay for? Unless your on Xfinity's Internet for Poor people plan, that the Government requires them to offer due to the Comcast/NBC merger, then your numbers are crap. As I think the slowest speed tier outside the poor people tier is 25 Mbps. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

How close is that number to the speed you pay for? Unless your on Xfinity's Internet for Poor people plan, that the Government requires them to offer due to the Comcast/NBC merger, then your numbers are crap. As I think the slowest speed tier outside the poor people tier is 25 Mbps. 

jeez. Will i be able to game at all then?