Lenovo Y720 vs Asus ROG Strix GL502VM

Hello, I'm looking for a good gaming laptop around 1400€, I've selected that Lenovo Y720 and Asus ROG Strix GL502VM are the best deals currently, the problem is their specs are very similar, only difference I see is Asus has a bit more RAM (12GB instead of 8), although it's not as important to me as I can upgrade the RAM down the line from what I've read. 

Few things that I'm looking for in a laptop (besides gaming):

At least 2h of battery life whilst doing simple tasks.

Needs to be portable enough to be moved everyday (home-office-class)

Bearable thermals (Least thermal throttling)

Good enough keyboard for typing.

Thunderbolt is nice to have (It's really confusing whether ASUS has thunderbolt or not)

Base specs for both are I7 7700HQ and GTX 1060. Y720 costs ~1400€, Asus ~1360€

Thank you :)

The ROG Strix is cheaper, has more RAM (out of the box), is lighter, and, IMHO, looks better. I'd buy the ASUS. Also see if you can get an SSD in one (or plan to put one in immediately).

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Just now, Unimaginative Name said:

The ROG Strix is cheaper, has more RAM (out of the box), is lighter, and, IMHO, looks better. I'd buy the ASUS. Also see if you can get an SSD in one (or plan to put one in immediately).

Forgot to mention both have 128GB SSDs :) as I've said specs wise- only RAM differs

1 minute ago, minemarcius said:

Forgot to mention both have 128GB SSDs :) as I've said specs wise- only RAM differs

Then on a day to day basis, I'd choose the Asus. There is a bit of brand loyalty (I love Asus), but I think it's for a reason. It's cheaper at the moment and has more RAM initially so I'd go with that. Do both have IPS displays?

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Just now, Unimaginative Name said:

Then on a day to day basis, I'd choose the Asus. There is a bit of brand loyalty (I love Asus), but I think it's for a reason. It's cheaper at the moment and has more RAM initially so I'd go with that. Do both have IPS displays?

Asus one isn't IPS, although it's Anti-Glare while Lenovo is IPS without anti Glare

2 minutes ago, minemarcius said:

Asus one isn't IPS, although it's Anti-Glare while Lenovo is IPS without anti Glare

I'm not sure what to make of that. IPS will still probably look "better", but with a laptop, you'll almost always be looking at it head-on. So it probably won't be that big of a difference.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

I'm not sure what to make of that. IPS will still probably look "better", but with a laptop, you'll almost always be looking at it head-on. So it probably won't be that big of a difference.

So far I really like the ASUS one, but I'll have to look into the quality of its panel further :)

1 hour ago, minemarcius said:

At least 2h of battery life whilst doing simple tasks.

Needs to be portable enough to be moved everyday (home-office-class)

Bearable thermals (Least thermal throttling)

Good enough keyboard for typing.

Thunderbolt is nice to have (It's really confusing whether ASUS has thunderbolt or not)

Y720 is better. Much better build quality, slightly better cooling, longer battery life, only complain is the display. GL502VM is more portable but the cooling is quite mediocre due to fairly thin chassis, keyboard wise Y720 is better and it comes with X4 PCIe lanes Thunderbolt. NEVER buy laptop by brand, choose by model.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

Y720 is better. Much better build quality, slightly better cooling, longer battery life, only complain is the display. GL502VM is more portable but the cooling is quite mediocre due to fairly thin chassis, keyboard wise Y720 is better and it comes with X4 PCIe lanes Thunderbolt. NEVER buy laptop by brand, choose by model.

They have crap battery life though. OP if you’re just going to use this to game and have it plugged in that’s cool, but you do get laptops with better battery with decent specs still 

That's an F in the profile pic