Looking for a CPU to replace my intel pentium g4560

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

If intel didn't drop support for the X170/270 platforms you wouldn't be in this situation lol, could go to a 6 core i7 8700 potentially.

But alas.

Likely wait to see the ryzen refresh though, it'll be faster than current gen ryzen at the same prices.

Are these new ryzen refresh chips supposed to be compatible with current mobo's or is it likely that there will be a high demand for a new kind of ryzen board that would make ryzen chip / mobo combos more expensive?

4 minutes ago, CooperMyers said:

Are these new ryzen refresh chips supposed to be compatible with current mobo's or is it likely that there will be a high demand for a new kind of ryzen board that would make ryzen chip / mobo combos more expensive?

Will be compatible with a BIOS update, motherboards likely won't be in short supply

There should be new revisions of motherboards shipping with the latest BIOSes, as if you don't have a previous generation AMD CPU you can't update your BIOS on most boards, since you can't boot it.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-refresh-next-inline-am4-socket/

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just get a 2nd hand 6700/6700K/7700/7700K and you will be good to game for many years to come. There are heaps on sale as people try to sell these chips to upgrade to Coffee Lake.

Saves all the hassle of 'upgrading' to Ryzen that is actually still slower than these 6th/7th gen i7s at gaming.

1 hour ago, CooperMyers said:

Cheap : 6700K used or 7700K used combo with mobo 

New and $$ : 8600K/8700K z370

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

How much are used Skylake/Kabylake i7 chips selling for in the US? Because in Australia you can get them for around $150 US equivalent, closer to $200 for the K chips but since the OP has a B250 mobo which won't overclock he can just save some money and drop in a 6700/7700.

The new Ryzen CPU's are being announced in less than two weeks and will be in stores by the end of February/March, with preorders starting in three weeks time. So it's not really worth upgrading until then, as you can pick up one of the newer CPU's within your budget. If you do want to upgrade before then, and are close to a Microcenter or a Staples, you can pick up a Ryzen 1600 plus a motherboard for just over $200 total. And yes, the new CPU's will work with all existing AM4 boards once the BIOS is updated, as Streetguru mentioned.

10 hours ago, xg32 said:

i7 8700 for 330

Plus at least $100 for a new Mobo o.O

10 hours ago, CooperMyers said:

I have been playing my PC almost exclusively for PUBG. The only problem is that the pentium g4560 creates a major CPU bottleneck on my rig with task manager reading high CPU usage of 95% and higher while running the game. Even on max graphics my CPU is still the bottleneck with absolutely no difference in frame rate between max graphics and minimum. 

This is my current rig. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mkzgWX

Attached below is a benchmark I found online giving the minimum and maximum frame rates for the cpu's on this game. 

For $200 to $300 what would be the best CPU that would not bottleneck a gtx1060 3gb card while being comparable with the rest of my system?  

IMG_6143.PNG

The best option for your motherboard is probably a 7600k, but as the other poster mentioned, that B250 motherboard is a bit of a drag. You can't do any overclocking, and you can't use any of the new Coffeelake chips.