Mixing and matching 100Mb/1Gb products (powerline + switch)

BigDan1190

Hi all.

My current networking set up is a bit restricted but i'm trying to make the most of it

ISP router in modem mode -> my Netgear D7000 router -> powerline adaptor (downstairs) -> 2 port powerline adaptor (my room) -> cat6 to my PC and cat6 to my NAS

Now, the powerlines are relatively cheap but I get a solid 60-80Mb from the broadband downstairs so i'm happy. Now, the NAS can do 1GB but is currently being restricted by the 100Mb powerline. If i were to get a 1Gb switch in my room (so, powerline -> switch -> PC and NAS), would my PC be able to access the NAS at 1GB speeds or would it need to go via the router and still be restricted?

Cheers,

Dan

1 minute ago, BigDan1190 said:

If i were to get a 1Gb switch in my room (so, powerline -> switch -> PC and NAS), would my PC be able to access the NAS at 1GB speeds

Yes.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If your NAS and client PC are connected through the switch, it's my understanding that they should work together at 1Gb/s speed. I am not certain. @Lurick is this the case? (I know you do networking stuffs)

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

19 minutes ago, BigDan1190 said:

Hi all.

My current networking set up is a bit restricted but i'm trying to make the most of it

ISP router in modem mode -> my Netgear D7000 router -> powerline adaptor (downstairs) -> 2 port powerline adaptor (my room) -> cat6 to my PC and cat6 to my NAS

Now, the powerlines are relatively cheap but I get a solid 60-80Mb from the broadband downstairs so i'm happy. Now, the NAS can do 1GB but is currently being restricted by the 100Mb powerline. If i were to get a 1Gb switch in my room (so, powerline -> switch -> PC and NAS), would my PC be able to access the NAS at 1GB speeds or would it need to go via the router and still be restricted?

Cheers,

Dan

You can get a 1000+ powerline kit for $50, just saying.

1 minute ago, Vantage9 said:

You can get a 1000+ powerline kit for $50, just saying.

I appreciate that but thats not what i'm asking for.  Here in the UK its around £90 which i believe is around $120. Also, I can get an 8 port gigabit switch for £18 which i'm sure you'll agree is much better suited to my needs (allows for expansion).

Just now, BigDan1190 said:

I appreciate that but thats not what i'm asking for.  Here in the UK its around £90 which i believe is around $120. Also, I can get an 8 port gigabit switch for £18 which i'm sure you'll agree is much better suited to my needs (allows for expansion).

I mean a new switch will allow for your PC and NAS to communicate at higher speeds, but your PC and NAS are still heavily restricted when it comes to internet access.  You might solve your immediate PC to NAS problem now, but a better powerline setup will solve future problems you don't know you have yet.

The point being, if you have a bottleneck, why not remove the bottleneck in your network, rather than adding a bunch of workarounds that don't actually address the core issue?

Also.  You can get a 1000+ Powerline in the UK for under  £40

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA7010KIT-Powerline-Streaming-Configuration-UK/dp/B06WRSHKC6

6 minutes ago, Vantage9 said:

Also.  You can get a 1000+ Powerline in the UK for under  £40

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA7010KIT-Powerline-Streaming-Configuration-UK/dp/B06WRSHKC6

loool, with 1 port :D

Dude, thanks, but please leave this alone now as i'm looking for a specific answer. I still need a switch for various reasons, hence why i'm asking quite a specific question. This is why you shouldn't answer forum posts if you don't know the answer, suggesting alternative answers isn't helpful in this particular situation. Cheers
EDIT: Forgot to mention, i require passthrough also as the socket in my room is a single outlet.

2 minutes ago, BigDan1190 said:

loool, with 1 port :D

Dude, thanks, but please leave this alone now as i'm looking for a specific answer. I still need a switch for various reasons, hence why i'm asking quite a specific question. This is why you shouldn't answer forum posts if you don't know the answer, suggesting alternative answers isn't helpful in this particular situation. Cheers

You do see where they have other options on that same page, right?  The two port version is £50.  Two Ports with Passthrough is 55.   Its not complicated....

Also, I DID answer your question, and then gave you ADDITIONAL information.  How about not being a snarky asshole to people who are being helpful to you.

For fucks sake, DUDE, I'm not being snarky i'm trying to get you to stop filling up this thread with information that i already know and DIDN'T ask for. I shouldn't have to justify why you shouldn't give irrelevant and alternative answers. 

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. MANY KIND REGARDS.

Jeez.

1 hour ago, BigDan1190 said:

Hi all.

Cheers,

Dan

So long as the computer and NAS are on the same subnet, then yes, it will just go through the switch and stay at 1Gbps the whole way.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

So long as the computer and NAS are on the same subnet, then yes, it will just go through the switch and stay at 1Gbps the whole way.

Awesome, thanks man I appreciate the confirmation.

Your speed will be limited by the slowest device that the data is routed through.  If your traffic is going through something at 10/100 speed, it won't be gigabit.

If you never need to pull a server out of racks, you are probably doing something right.

10 hours ago, sinfulfartzilla said:

Your speed will be limited by the slowest device that the data is routed through.  If your traffic is going through something at 10/100 speed, it won't be gigabit.

If it needs to be routed then yes however if it's on the same subnet and on the same switch then it won't need to be routed or sent over the 100mbit link to be switched and will be switched at full gigabit speed locally. If the subnets are different then yes, it will only be 100mbit, or if the NAS was located on a switch on the other side of the 100Mbit link.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Thanks Lurick. Switch arrives tonight so I'll give it a go and update this thread. I'm assuming the router will assign everything the same subnet but will play around and ask for help if needs be.

On 12/29/2017 at 12:52 PM, Lurick said:

If it needs to be routed then yes however if it's on the same subnet and on the same switch then it won't need to be routed or sent over the 100mbit link to be switched and will be switched at full gigabit speed locally. If the subnets are different then yes, it will only be 100mbit, or if the NAS was located on a switch on the other side of the 100Mbit link.

Lurick, thanks for your help - it arrived, plugged in and i'm getting gigabit connection to the NAS, now transferring at like 45MB instead of 12MB (slow NAS, but meh).

Very happy :D