My RX 580 8GB with R1700 3.64Ghz can't run Witcher 2 at a steady 60 fps maxxed out?

komputeridiat

Hi guys, as per title and I'm cross posting something from what I posted on Reddit. I'm just wondering if you can point out something that I'm doing wrong.

I saw youtube videos showing Wticher 2 at 1440p with the same GPU that is running at steady 60fps and Witcher 3 1080p at 60fps.

Operating System
==================
Windows 10

Computer Specs (PSU, GPU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard)
==================
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W   GPU: Sapphire RX 580 8GB Nitro     CPU: Ryzen 7 1700   RAM: Team Delta 3000 Mhz   Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Speccy Link
==================
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/a7pEj3xFw5ChtyoLRruD5dt

Description of problem
==================
As per title. I'm just baffled that my newly built computer can't run Witcher 2 at a minimum 60fps with modern GPU and CPU that is intended for some gaming, and when I ran Witcher 3 yesterday, I was already seeing some stuttering when maxxed out without the Nvidia stuff.   

When this issue began
==================
When I checked after installing Witcher 2 and 3 within the past few days

Recurring issue
==================
Yes

Date of purchase
==================
N/A

Under Warranty
==================
Yes

Cause/Steps to recreate the issue
==================
Just running the software and seeing the issue

What I've tried so far to resolve the issue
==================
Overclocking my CPU TO 3.64Ghz. Upping my RAM to 2800 Mhz

Have you reached out to CDPRD for additional debugging and for a better diagnosis of what could the problem be? 

12 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Have you reached out to CDPRD for additional debugging and for a better diagnosis of what could the problem be? 

no. Is it one of their forums?

Isn't Witcher 2 a notoriously poorly optimized game? Especially if you activate the advanced graphics features. It also uses NVidia specific black boxed technology that will run poorly on your system. So it's the game not your system at fault. Of course you're running MSAA at 8x or something?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, komputeridiat said:

no. Is it one of their forums?

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/ You can send them a email and they'll normally get back to you within a few days (bare in mind that it's holidays so it might be longer)

Just now, Notional said:

Isn't Witcher 2 a notoriously poorly optimized game

Yeah it had quite the few optimisation issues, W3 resolved all of them.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Isn't Witcher 2 a notoriously poorly optimized game? Especially if you activate the advanced graphics features. It also uses NVidia specific black boxed technology that will run poorly on your system. So it's the game not your system at fault. Of course you're running MSAA at 8x or something?

I have seen some people on Youtube running the game at 1440p with a steady 60fps. Whatever the notoriously poorly optimization must've been fixed by now right?

I don't know the problems, but I would run userbenchmark to see if it shows any issues with your performance. 

First problem: "16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1396MHz (20-19-19-47)"  XMP profile?   

Concern:  "DELL E207WFP (1680x1050@60Hz)"  What resolution is the game set for?

Concern: "Memory usage 26 %"  Is that how much memory your computer is using doing nothing? 

2 minutes ago, komputeridiat said:

I have seen some people on Youtube running the game at 1440p with a steady 60fps. Whatever the notoriously poorly optimization must've been fixed by now right?

Depends on their settings.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, BobbyPdue said:

I don't know the problems, but I would run userbenchmark to see if it shows any issues with your performance. 

How do I do that?

1 minute ago, BobbyPdue said:

First problem: "16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1396MHz (20-19-19-47)"  XMP profile?   

I don't understand the question.

2 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

Concern:  "DELL E207WFP (1680x1050@60Hz)"  What resolution is the game set for?

Exactly that without V-sync

2 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

Concern: "Memory usage 26 %"  Is that how much memory your computer is using doing nothing? 

I don't know what to tell you. I have Firefox opened and stuff.

1 minute ago, komputeridiat said:

Maxxed?

Not with MSAA that's for sure. If you max that out you render at 8K resolution or more.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Not with MSAA that's for sure. If you max that out you render at 8K resolution or more.

Sorry as in their 1440p resolution, and I don't know what MSAA is.

4 minutes ago, komputeridiat said:

Sorry as in their 1440p resolution, and I don't know what MSAA is.

It's a setting. Your performance depends completely on the settings on the game.

18 minutes ago, Notional said:

It's a setting. Your performance depends completely on the settings on the game.

The guy: 

has ubersampling off but 1440p with 60+fps. I should get it with 60+fps on 1050p.

5 minutes ago, komputeridiat said:

The guy: 

has ubersampling off but 1440p with 60+fps. I should get it with 60+fps on 1050p.

If you don't have the exact same settings as him, you can't compare though.

Just now, Notional said:

If you don't have the exact same settings as him, you can't compare though.

You're right. My settings are lower...so it should get even more fps right?

My GTX 960 didn't have too many issues so long as I refrained from enabling Ubersampling. Gaben help your framerate once you check that little feature.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Turn off super sampling and try again.

I got this clarified by a member earlier and I intend on trying it. However, I still feel like I should be able to turn all the settings to the top for a 7 Year old game.

19 minutes ago, komputeridiat said:

I got this clarified by a member earlier and I intend on trying it. However, I still feel like I should be able to turn all the settings to the top for a 7 Year old game.

Maybe it's time to lower your expectations.

Last I remember, super sampling quadruples (or more) your resolution and then down-samples back to your resolution. It's basically for better edges, and it's quite a beast of a setting. I think it's best suited for larger 1080p television screens, like 50-inch or larger, where this setting could be helpful. It's not noticeable on smaller, higher pixel displays like most common monitors.

12 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Maybe it's time to lower your expectations.

Last I remember, super sampling quadruples (or more) your resolution and then down-samples back to your resolution. It's basically for better edges, and it's quite a beast of a setting. I think it's best suited for larger 1080p television screens, like 50-inch or larger, where this setting could be helpful. It's not noticeable on smaller, higher pixel displays like most common monitors.

Is that what it is? I will turn it off then. I don't usually know anything beyond the usual settings. I just turn shit up... Thanks.

5 minutes ago, komputeridiat said:

Is that what it is? I will turn it off then. I don't usually know anything beyond the usual settings. I just turn shit up... Thanks.

Haha yeah... no worries. That's my usual train of thought too until I can't hit 60 fps. Then I start to freak out and learn more about each setting. Not every setting is helpful as it turns out.

God speed! Witcher 2 is an extreme undertaking. Took me months. Witcher 3 is taking me years!

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

Haha yeah... no worries. That's my usual train of thought too until I can't hit 60 fps. Then I start to freak out and learn more about each setting. Not every setting is helpful as it turns out.

God speed! Witcher 2 is an extreme undertaking. Took me months. Witcher 3 is taking me years!

Well I just installed Witcher 3 and it stutters with some moments of 60fps. I even turned off all the nVidia stuff...sigh....

I'm hoping that it is a HDD thing because mine is dying. I will properly play it within a week I hope.

2 minutes ago, komputeridiat said:

Well I just installed Witcher 3 and it stutters with some moments of 60fps. I even turned off all the nVidia stuff...sigh....

I'm hoping that it is a HDD thing because mine is dying. I will properly play it within a week I hope.

What settings preset are you nearest for Witcher 3? I have a GTX 1070 and it hangs on around High, but at Ultra I am falling apart at 3440x1440