how to run steam games form old hdd on new ssd without installing on ssd?

ok for the last 2 hours LOL ive been on nervous edge i installed an ssd and 1tb hdd and to my miricle it diidnt go wrong...  wow lucky me

ok so heres thing its all good im on windows its FINE IFNEE

BUT,,,,

someone please please explain to me

ok so i have fresh install on my sdd and the old hdd with the windwos still has windows but just sitll use it as storage now

BUT thing is

now its done that

this ssd or new windows has nothing not even the graphics drivers installed BUT it does have it on other hdd

PLEASE PLEASE in detail someone help me how do i get the games apps everything from my old hdd onto my new?????

ok drivers ill install new beacuse why not?

but GAMES

my firefox and just programmes and picture to set on my new ssd how to get them onto my ssd from old hdd??

do i really havve to install firefox and games and photoshop again or ??

btw i tried accessing the account like

go onto the old hdd then users then my user it takes bloody ages to load so help

5 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

Yeah if you aren't going to clone the drive then everything , apps/drivers/games have to be reinstalled.

this has been the way of computers since storage devices were invented. 

9 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:
Spoiler

ok for the last 2 hours LOL ive been on nervous edge i installed an ssd and 1tb hdd and to my miricle it diidnt go wrong...  wow lucky me

ok so heres thing its all good im on windows its FINE IFNEE

BUT,,,,

someone please please explain to me

ok so i have fresh install on my sdd and the old hdd with the windwos still has windows but just sitll use it as storage now

BUT thing is

now its done that

this ssd or new windows has nothing, not even the graphics drivers installed BUT it does have it on other hdd

PLEASE PLEASE in detail someone help me how do i get the games apps everything from my old hdd onto my new?????

ok drivers ill install new beacuse why not?

but GAMES

my firefox and just programmes and picture to set on my new ssd how to get them onto my ssd from old hdd??

btw i tried accessing the account like

go onto the old hdd then users then my user it takes bloody ages to load so help

-snip-

You will need to reinstall all the drivers and programs but, the games you can just copy to the SSD and then verify them on Steam, assuming you get them from there.

Edit: Depending on your Internet speed it might be better to just re-download the games.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Still some options like in Firefox to imput favorites from old installations but never done this myself

also with several email clients you can import stuff.

For difficult drivers you can tell that you have the driver and point to the old hdd windows/system/drivers.....

than it should find the files it need

When you do a new OS install on a new drive, HDD or SDD, the only thing you can do from the old drive, is to transfer your data(documents, musics, pictures, userprofiles, etc...) once you're done with installing windows. Most other things, like settings, which software is installed and where, anything windows related, will not be transferable unless you REALLY know what you're doing(and you still shouldn't even if you do)

Meaning you should reinstall your softwares since the new OS doesn't have the registry entries for them and may cause issues.

Some softwares won't have any trouble without them, they will either recreate the entries by themselves or prompt you about it(like Steam).

You can get your firefox's data(bookmarks and what not) should be in the mozilla/firefox folder in

X:\Users\oldname\AppData\Local

and

X:\Users\oldname\AppData\Roaming

And yes, you should be installing the drivers, all of them. Windows cannot get them from the other drive.

As for games, you could just open Steam from that drive and it will rebuild itself to work.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

When you do a new OS install on a new drive, HDD or SDD, the only thing you can do from the old drive, is to transfer your data(documents, musics, pictures, userprofiles, etc...) once you're done with installing windows. Most other things, like settings, which software is installed and where, anything windows related, will not be transferable unless you REALLY know what you're doing(and you still shouldn't even if you do)

Meaning you should reinstall your softwares since the new OS doesn't have the registry entries for them and may cause issues.

Some softwares won't have any trouble without them, they will either recreate the entries by themselves or prompt you about it(like Steam).

You can get your firefox's data(bookmarks and what not) should be in the mozilla/firefox folder in

X:\Users\oldname\AppData\Local

and

X:\Users\oldname\AppData\Roaming

And yes, you should be installing the drivers, all of them. Windows cannot get them from the other drive.

As for games, you could just open Steam from that drive and it will rebuild itself to work.

Wait so what about saved games :0 

plus do j know why when I go to my user from ssd to old hdd it’s SOOOOOOO SLOWWWWW LOADING sooo slow . Is that the hdd or ssd “ it’s so damn slow

plus like games I’ve making in unity ? Surely I must be able to get them 

i tired to youtube it but everyone is making how to install but i want to just shortcut them as i dont want all games on my ssd and when i run steam it then says somthing about it isnt writable or somthing

so what do i have to install steam onto my ssd then play? beaccuse i dont want to copy and use ssd space just want to run from old hdd but it wojntn let me launch steam

You can install steam to wherever during the install process with the usual choose install location and when you install a game, you are able to create a new library on other drives or install to steam's location.

image.png.133ad2bcbed20af8b44cf109fec950ba.png

@WolfLoverPro, just change the steam downloads folder to a created folder on the old HDD and you can install steam on the SSD, know that the load times of games  will not take advantage of the SSD.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Your steam location doesnt matter. You can create new library on your hdd and steam will install new games there. It will not use your SSD storage. 

If u want to move games from drive to drive then u might have to reinstall steam. Ive done it loooong time ago but dont remember how exactly. 

Maybe u arent using right words to find what you are looking for on youtube.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

i tired to youtube it but everyone is making how to install but i want to just shortcut them as i dont want all games on my ssd and when i run steam it then says somthing about it isnt writable or somthing

so what do i have to install steam onto my ssd then play? beaccuse i dont want to copy and use ssd space just want to run from old hdd but it wojntn let me launch steam

Install Steam on the SSD then go to Steam settings > Downloads > Steam Library folders > Add Library folder then just select the folder on the HHD where your old Steam files are.

1 minute ago, TrueMegaManiac said:

You can install steam to wherever during the install process with the usual choose install location and when you install a game, you are able to create a new library on other drives or install to steam's location.

image.png.133ad2bcbed20af8b44cf109fec950ba.png

but i dont want to actully install steam or the games onto my new ssd

i want to run steam and the games on my ssd but from the old hdd do you get what i mean> like shortcuts so it uses no sapce

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

@WolfLoverPro, just change the steam downloads folder to a created folder on the old HDD and you can install steam on the SSD, know that the load times of games  will not take advantage of the SSD.

wait what?? loading wont be faster? i though um thats what would be betterXD

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

Install Steam on the SSD then go to Steam settings > Downloads > Steam Library folders > Add Library folder then just select the folder on the HHD where your old Steam files are.

and i wont have to install or donwload the games again it runs them off old hdd?

1 minute ago, WolfLoverPro said:

It does help but not with every game.

For example, GTA V Online still takes a very long time to load even on an SSD.

because you are installing the games on the old HDD the load times will be that of the HDD and not the SSD, to get the fast load times of the SSD steam as well as the games must be on the SSD.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

and i wont have to install or donwload the games again it runs them off old hdd?

It will run normally. Steam will check the files but you won't have to download them again.

5 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

i want to run steam and the games on my ssd but from the old hdd do you get what i mean> like shortcuts so it uses no sapce

That's literally what I just explained in my post. The create new library option to the HDD will install them to the HDD but all you have on the SSD regarding the game is a shortcut.

ok ... let me try to untangle this:

it sounds like you used a HDD for the whole system before and just upgraded to a SSD recently, probably doing a fresh install of windows on the SSD like you should. 

if you did a fresh install of windows - i think you need to install steam again as well.

you can install steam either to SSD or HDD, i recommend installing to the SSD.

but ONLY the steam application - not the games.

as soon as you can start the steam application, then do as @Cyberspirit said and add the games folder that is already existing on you HDD to the steam library folders. 

Just now, TrueMegaManiac said:

That's literally what I just explained in my post. The create new library option to the HDD will install them to the HDD but all you have on the SSD regarding the game is a shortcut.

im so sorry i well i guess im just uh not concentrading xD sorry ill try this now

16 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

That's not going to work, if you want the benefits of an SSD it will need to be installed on the SSD. If you don't want to use the space, you can install it on the HDD but it wil run at HDD speeds.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W