Recommendations for really good looking games that are on sale this winter

dima_

Hey, so I'm an idiot with computers, but I just finally fixed an issue with my rig that caused my PCIe 3.0 x16 slot to be restricted to x1 speed and thus caused my 1080 Ti to struggle in many games, several of which it shouldn't have had any problems running at very high framerates. But now I'm super excited and have been playing all sorts of games cranked up as high as they can go and basking in the smooth 144fps glory. That being said, what are some good looking games that are preferably on sale due to the holidays that I can throw at this thing? Yes, yes, I know; graphics aren't important, it's the story and gameplay, etc. But right now I just want to take the most gorgeous looking games I can get my hands on and feed them to my GPU for breakfast.

(OOC) [Legend] Vladimir Makaroni: is smelling meth with my new oculus rift a valid reason to warrant a meth lab

GTA V or for a cheap 'the vanishing of Ethan Carter'

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Im playing Mass Effect Andeomda now, i sure wish i had a 1080 Ti, but even on Medium settings it looks pretty damn amazing. And its on sale atm on Origin

On 12/25/2017 at 3:07 PM, GitGud said:

Im playing Mass Effect Andeomda now, i sure wish i had a 1080 Ti, but even on Medium settings it looks pretty damn amazing. And its on sale atm on Origin

This one is interesting to me. All I remember about Andromeda, when it came out, is the buzz it created about how allegedly horrible it was, for everything from bugs to poor writing to lackluster gameplay. I know I said in the OP that I only care about graphics, but I'm a little apprehensive about this one. How would you address those criticisms? How good is that game, actually?

Edit: holy moly I didn't realize how long I had been off of the LTT forums this week. Sorry for the late response! But for everybody who responded, thank you for your recommendations so far. I'll have to reinstall Witcher 3 in particular and I'll to look into AC: Origins.

(OOC) [Legend] Vladimir Makaroni: is smelling meth with my new oculus rift a valid reason to warrant a meth lab

30 minutes ago, dima_ said:

This one is interesting to me. All I remember about Andromeda, when it came out, is the buzz it created about how allegedly horrible it was, for everything from bugs to poor writing to lackluster gameplay. I know I said in the OP that I only care about graphics, but I'm a little apprehensive about this one. How would you address those criticisms? How good is that game, actually?

Edit: holy moly I didn't realize how long I had been off of the LTT forums this week. Sorry for the late response! But for everybody who responded, thank you for your recommendations so far. I'll have to reinstall Witcher 3 in particular and I'll to look into AC: Origins.

It depends, writing and character development isnt up to snuff with the trilogy, but its no where near as bad gaming press and general bandwagon haters made it to be and the 6 companions you get to play with in your party are honestly quite good. There are dumb lines in dialogue in places, but nothing that breaks it.

There are plenty of smaller bugs and glitches still, but again theyre not game breakers and no where near the amount games like Skyrim or Fallout 4 have which get massive praise despite that.

Gameplay in general is pretty good imo, gunplay and combat overall especialy is probably best in whole series, but it also depends whether you like grindy modern open world game design thats pretty much evident in all big games from Far Cry 4 to Witcher 3, theres plenty of exploration involved which i personaly like, and theres tons of content which makes the game a long endeavour if you like to complete everything.

It also comes down how much of a sci fi space exploration nerd you are, i for myself dont like fantasy games like Witcher 3, Final Fantasy, Divinity etc, but Andromeda really appeals to me.

All very interesting. I might just try it out.

9 hours ago, GitGud said:

It also comes down how much of a sci fi space exploration nerd you are, i for myself dont like fantasy games like Witcher 3, Final Fantasy, Divinity etc, but Andromeda really appeals to me.

Yeah, this is the same reason I think I'm the only person on the planet who enjoyed Civilization: Beyond Earth, lmao. The setting does it for me. Might be worth trying after all.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands. 

Unoptimized tho, I'm playing Ultra with lesser shadows and it's still making my 1080Ti weep. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

Ghost Recon: Wildlands. 

Unoptimized tho, I'm playing Ultra with lesser shadows and it's still making my 1080Ti weep. 

I love that game so much! I got it less than a week ago and I've already sunk like 60 hours into it. Been playing almost nonstop.

I agree that it's a little tougher to run, but with some tweaks (mostly ultra/high and some lowering of shadows like you say) I seem to be around 144 fps most of the time, except for towns lol. It's a gorgeous game regardless. Maybe it's unoptimized, but I don't know, it looks reeeaaally good. It might just be straight up demanding.

15 minutes ago, dima_ said:

I love that game so much! I got it less than a week ago and I've already sunk like 60 hours into it. Been playing almost nonstop.

I agree that it's a little tougher to run, but with some tweaks (mostly ultra/high and some lowering of shadows like you say) I seem to be around 144 fps most of the time, except for towns lol. It's a gorgeous game regardless. Maybe it's unoptimized, but I don't know, it looks reeeaaally good. It might just be straight up demanding.

Yeah it's a great game, took me ~125 hours to finish everything and I'm eyeing replaying it at some point. 

I don't get the repetitive criticism, abilities / weapons (and thus approaches) as well as environments are varied. 

Either that or the supposedly weak story, did they bother with the Kingslayer files / other buchons or it was a 15-20 hour speed run? 

6 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Yeah it's a great game, took me ~125 hours to finish everything and I'm eyeing replaying it at some point. 

I don't get the repetitive criticism, abilities / weapons (and thus approaches) as well as environments are varied. 

Either that or the supposedly weak story, did they bother with the Kingslayer files / other buchons or it was a 15-20 hour speed run? 

I completed the main story, fully upgraded rebel supports, all my skills probably about 7 hours of playtime ago. There's honestly not much more for me to do unfortunately, I don't know how people play for longer. I've been replaying stuff with friends on coop who still haven't beat the entire story.

I don't like collecting all the Kingslayer files, seems a little tedious and I'm not too interested in them. DLC is also hit or miss, I dunno. I don't like Narco Road but I might complete Fallen Ghosts.

I wish Tier One mode wasn't so bullshit. I was chipping away at it but I'm probably going to stop at Tier 32 now. It's bad enough that it'll slowly start taking astronomical amounts of tier points to rank up, resulting in endless boring grinding, but now the game is locked at extreme difficulty which is terrible. I'm convinced it wasn't tested. You get immediately detected, aimbotted, and killed in a few bullets in mere seconds by any cartel grunt with his two stupid Mac-11s. But without doing Tier One mode, it's like there isn't anything for me to work towards. Not sure what else to do.

10 minutes ago, dima_ said:

I completed the main story, fully upgraded rebel supports, all my skills probably about 7 hours of playtime ago. There's honestly not much more for me to do unfortunately, I don't know how people play for longer. I've been replaying stuff with friends on coop who still haven't beat the entire story.

I don't like collecting all the Kingslayer files, seems a little tedious and I'm not too interested in them. DLC is also hit or miss, I dunno. I don't like Narco Road but I might complete Fallen Ghosts.

I wish Tier One mode wasn't so bullshit. I was chipping away at it but I'm probably going to stop at Tier 32 now. It's bad enough that it'll slowly start taking astronomical amounts of tier points to rank up, resulting in endless boring grinding, but now the game is locked at extreme difficulty which is terrible. I'm convinced it wasn't tested. You get immediately detected, aimbotted, and killed in a few bullets in mere seconds by any cartel grunt with his two stupid Mac-11s. But without doing Tier One mode, it's like there isn't anything for me to work towards. Not sure what else to do.

I collected everything, it has cultural / historical tidbits about Bolivia. 

Narco Road is stupid and you die all the time. One of my gripes regarding the game, since a few patches it takes forever (20-30+ sec) to load even on a SSD. 

Fallen Ghosts is a big too sci-fi for my tastes but it was enjoyable. It's ridiculously hard tho, especially the side missions where you need to extract a VIP. 

Just now, Raskolnikov said:

I collected everything, it has cultural / historical tidbits about Bolivia. 

Narco Road is stupid and you die all the time. One of my gripes regarding the game, since a few patches it takes forever (20-30+ sec) to load even on a SSD. 

Fallen Ghosts is a big too sci-fi for my tastes but it was enjoyable. It's ridiculously hard tho, especially the side missions where you need to extract a VIP. 

Hmm. I'll have to keep an eye out for some Kingslayer files; didn't know much about Bolivia before this game but Ubisoft has really created a beautiful world out of it in GRW.

Yeah, I don't like how Narco Road focuses on vehicles when driving, arguably, is one of the worst parts of the game. Cars are hard to control.

I was a little off-put by the invisible dudes in Fallen Ghosts but for the most part it doesn't seem that bad. I'll have to try and beat that DLC sometime.