How to wipe drive

I got a new pc and it only has 250gb ssd. How can I completely wipe my laptop 1tb sshd while keeping it usable?

just format it from the drive selection

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

21 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

just format it from the drive selection

will it remove windows? I want to use it as just storage

If you want to remove all of windows and the protected partitions you'll need to boot from another device. If you are using windows you can open the command prompt then type "diskpart".

then find which disk the HDD is (e.g disk 0 or disk 1 in disk management).

In diskpart, type "sel disk x" where x is the disk number you found earlier.

After that disk is selected type "clean". This will remove all the partitions and completely wipe the drive.

Just now, Minotaur10 said:

If you want to remove all of windows and the protected partitions you'll need to boot from another device. If you are using windows you can open the command prompt then type "diskpart".

then find which disk the HDD is (e.g disk 0 or disk 1 in disk management).

In diskpart, type "sel disk x" where x is the disk number you found earlier.

After that disk is selected type "clean". This will remove all the partitions and completely wipe the drive.

so I need to put it in my new pc that has windows and wipe it? Will anything happen if the drive I put in has windows too?

1 minute ago, TinyBolts said:

so I need to put it in my new pc that has windows and wipe it? Will anything happen if the drive I put in has windows too?

The only thing you'll have to worry about is the system potentially trying to boot from your old HDD instead of your SSD. To make sure you boot from the SSD tap F8 during system startup before it's loaded windows and it should give you a boot device selection. From there choose your SSD, once you've booted from your SSD you won't have any issues.

Just now, Minotaur10 said:

The only thing you'll have to worry about is the system potentially trying to boot from your old HDD instead of your SSD. To make sure you boot from the SSD tap F8 during system startup before it's loaded windows and it should give you a boot device selection. From there choose your SSD, once you've booted from your SSD you won't have any issues.

the sshd is actuallty a new one, just that i put it in my laptop while i was waiting for my first ever stationary pc and first 1080p monitor to arrive. Rn my setup is super confusing. Thanks for the info!

Oh, and lastly, once the drive has been wiped you'll need to re-initialise the drive by reopening disk management. It should give a prompt to initialise the drive. All you have to do is click next until it's done, the default options are what you need. Then you'll need to create a partition in the HDD to make it usable space. Just right click on the unallocated space and create new simple volume (again just click next until it's done)

2 minutes ago, Minotaur10 said:

Oh, and lastly, once the drive has been wiped you'll need to re-initialise the drive by reopening disk management. It should give a prompt to initialise the drive. All you have to do is click next until it's done, the default options are what you need. Then you'll need to create a partition in the HDD to make it usable space. Just right click on the unallocated space and create new simple volume (again just click next until it's done)

Thanks! Also, here's my confusing setup just so u can see xD.

1514121204104-1521611559.jpg

15 minutes ago, Minotaur10 said:

Done mention it, happy to help

Wait, is it possible to just remove windows from the 1tb drive? I just want to move it.

If you want to move files over then you can do that from your SSD. Just go into the HDD and "user" folder. All of your files should still be in there. Just drag them over to the SSD then you can wipe the other drive once you have everything you want from it.

11 minutes ago, Minotaur10 said:

If you want to move files over then you can do that from your SSD. Just go into the HDD and "user" folder. All of your files should still be in there. Just drag them over to the SSD then you can wipe the other drive once you have everything you want from it.

thx

with a cloth or something. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch