First time custom loop! Help pls <3

Hey everybody!!!

I am going to be building my very first custom loop. I have done a consider amount of research and finalized with these water cooling parts...

Pump/Res combo: EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM

Radiators: EK-CoolStream SE 360 AND EK-CoolStream PE 240

Tube: EK-DuraClear ID 3/8” OD 5/8"

Coolant: Primochill vue

GPU water block: Phanteks Asus strix 1080 ti waterblock OR EK Asus strix 1080 ti waterblock

CPU water block: EK-FB ASUS M9H Monoblock - Nickel

Fittings: Bitspower silver shining

Fans: Corsair HD120

Here are my non-water cooling parts...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VjXwGf

I plan on placing the 360mm radiator at the front, and 240mm radiator at the top. 

I got a few questions I would like to ask

1. I have not decided on which GPU block to get at the moment. The will allow me to use the original Asus strix 1080 ti backplate, but the EK one will not. But most people seem to be using the EK water blocks. Which one should I get?

2. I did not list down all the fittings I'm getting. But should I get more than I need?

3. Im completely new to custom loops, so don't know the brands too well. Are there any changes you guys would make to the current part list?

Thanks soooo much guys. I really appreciate everyones help :)

8 minutes ago, samuel990705 said:

I got a few questions I would like to ask

1. I have not decided on which GPU block to get at the moment. The will allow me to use the original Asus strix 1080 ti backplate, but the EK one will not. But most people seem to be using the EK water blocks. Which one should I get?

Pick the one you like best.

2. I did not list down all the fittings I'm getting. But should I get more than I need?

In principle now, if you're sure you've thought it out. Double and triple check never hurt :P Althought I did forget one or two 90 degrees for my build that was more sillyness on my side, so I'd say do not get more than you (think) you need.

3. Im completely new to custom loops, so don't know the brands too well. Are there any changes you guys would make to the current part list?

I think it looks good. Bitspower and EK are both reputable brands and I haven't heard bad stuff about Phanteks either, though I've never used stuff from them.

[Edit] Just a heads up, the spacing between the top 240 radiator and the front 360 radiator will be tight definitely go with the slim for the front 360 (as you've done).

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

im pretty sure the ek block will work with the stock backplate on the strix card pauls from pauls hardware built his new pc, arctic panther. and he made a video where he used the stock backplate

1 hour ago, samuel990705 said:

Thanks soooo much guys. I really appreciate everyones help :)

I would swap the slim radiator to something like the Hardware lab GTS. the slim rads from EKWB have poor performance and high restriction.

Also plan for a drainage system so you can maintain your system. ball valve, t splitter, male to male dual rotaries etc.

If you want to use the factory backplate use the phanteks block. Mounting pressure may be affect if you use the wrong backplate on the EK blocks since they usually require removing screws from the waterblock itself. Performance wise phanteks should be the same.

3 hours ago, For Science! said:

I would swap the slim radiator to something like the Hardware lab GTS. the slim rads from EKWB have poor performance and high restriction.

Also plan for a drainage system so you can maintain your system. ball valve, t splitter, male to male dual rotaries etc.

If you want to use the factory backplate use the phanteks block. Mounting pressure may be affect if you use the wrong backplate on the EK blocks since they usually require removing screws from the waterblock itself. Performance wise phanteks should be the same.

The reason I chose the EK slim rads for the front is because the 570x does not have a lot of space. Plus, I plan on mounting the res at the front as well.

Regarding the drainage system, I will be installing it at the res/pump with a T splitter. 

Thank you :)

7 hours ago, samuel990705 said:

The reason I chose the EK slim rads for the front is because the 570x does not have a lot of space. Plus, I plan on mounting the res at the front as well.

Regarding the drainage system, I will be installing it at the res/pump with a T splitter. 

Thank you :)

DO NOT BUY EK SLIM!!! Get The HardwareLabs GTS Series. They are 5mm thicker and perform SO much better. Always get more angled fittings and extenders than you need. You should probably get 4+ 90*, 2+ 90* dual rotary and 2+ 25mm extension. I am not sure about your ram clearance with the top rad. Use primochill Advanced LRT tubing instead, it will never (for like 6 years) stain.

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

5 hours ago, Tech22 said:

DO NOT BUY EK SLIM!!! Get The HardwareLabs GTS Series. They are 5mm thicker and perform SO much better. Always get more angled fittings and extenders than you need. You should probably get 4+ 90*, 2+ 90* dual rotary and 2+ 25mm extension. I am not sure about your ram clearance with the top rad. Use primochill Advanced LRT tubing instead, it will never (for like 6 years) stain.

Thank you for your advice. Could you explain a little why the hardwareLabs GTS would be better than the EK Slim? Cause I know its only a few mm difference, but apparently that few mm means being able to mount the res at the front. Plus, the EK slim has a slightly higher FPI. Thanks :)

38 minutes ago, samuel990705 said:

Thank you for your advice. Could you explain a little why the hardwareLabs GTS would be better than the EK Slim? Cause I know its only a few mm difference, but apparently that few mm means being able to mount the res at the front. Plus, the EK slim has a slightly higher FPI. Thanks :)

This is the chart that I always bring up comparing radiators. you can see for yourself where the EK slim scores compared to other slim and non slim brethren.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/10/

rru_summary.thumb.png.6af8606729780e9f482a9cb70349e1d9.png

Basically slim radiators are bad generally, but EK slim rads are particularly bad.

On 12/22/2017 at 11:45 PM, For Science! said:

This is the chart that I always bring up comparing radiators. you can see for yourself where the EK slim scores compared to other slim and non slim brethren.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/10/

rru_summary.thumb.png.6af8606729780e9f482a9cb70349e1d9.png

Basically slim radiators are bad generally, but EK slim rads are particularly bad.

i don’t disagree. the slim, they may not be the most optimal on the planet.  But i’m running the Ek 360 slim on the top and the PE on the front.  Same 570x case as you. same setup as yours.  been running it almost a year now with stable low temps. you will be fine with the slim bro.  you won’t be able to fit any bigger TRUST me from someone with the exact same setup as yours, so def stay slim and don’t be afraid of EK slim.  but if the GTS is just as slim that’s fine too, and also i would recommend to get copper not nickel cpu block.  not a must just prefer those for corrosion reasons. 

my old system below, the 570x (building a new one now)

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Qdmqqs

On 12/22/2017 at 11:05 PM, samuel990705 said:

FPI does not equal better performance. They just have very poor performance compared. 

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/25/2017 at 4:35 PM, Tech22 said:

FPI does not equal better performance. They just have very poor performance compared. 

again, tech 22 is right. But..... the GTS will have better cooling than the EK.  But the EK is a little slimmer, and the EK requires less HEAD pressure to run through it. The GTS is actually the most restrictive rad out there when it comes to being hard on pumps.  If you use 2 GTS's you better have 2 pumps, or minimal bends fighting gravity. One GTS is fine though. Still, the EK is my vote in that 570x case, ONLY due to fact that i wouldnt have had room in that build, with even a couple more mm gone. 

On 12/22/2017 at 5:11 AM, samuel990705 said:

-snip-

you have more than enough to answer the questions you have from the prior people in front of me but i would say you might want to not use Vue coolant.