Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

I have just a quick question. To get the bonus points, do I have to complete 10 WU's on the CPU  or are GPU's included in that now? I read it was only CPU's but the things I was reading were from 2012. If it is only the CPU to activate the bonus pool, does the GPU benefit once it is available?

I have just a quick question. To get the bonus points, do I have to complete 10 WU's on the CPU  or are GPU's included in that now? I read it was only CPU's but the things I was reading were from 2012. If it is only the CPU to activate the bonus pool, does the GPU benefit once it is available?

Right now the bonus points only apply to CPU WU's but the plan is to also apply to GPU. You only qualify once you have the passkey and have completed 10 WU's. After that, you need to maintain at least an 80% return rate in CPU WU's to maintain your bonus.

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-points/#ntoc7

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I'm never going to damn finish this.

open the advanced view, keep an eye on it there. How long has the GPU been running?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I am doing an upgrade I noticed that my PCI Express was only a 2.0 but the Ti is PCI Express 3.0 does anyone know if that slow's down folding? 

(CPU) i9 9900K  (MB)ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I   (RAM) Royal Z Gold 2x8GB  40000DDR4 (GPU) Radeon VII  (CASE) Shift-X  (Storage)M.2 ADATA XPG8200 Pro/  (PSU)Corsair SF750 (COOLING)-H100I Pro   Folding ID Tim_Kelly

I am doing an upgrade I noticed that my PCI Express was only a 2.0 but the Ti is PCI Express 3.0 does anyone know if that slow's down folding? 

In theory it shouldn't make any difference as GPU's don't fully utilise the PCIe 2.0 BUS 

Are you running on a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot?

Edit:

This is the difference in performance that a GTX 780 has using PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 2.0  

PCI-E 3.0 x16 100%

PCI-E 3.0 x8 or PCI-E 2.0 x16 97-98%

PCI-E 3.0 x4 or PCI-E 2.0 x8 91-92%

im going to join but can you pause it and carry on the next day if you turn off your pc

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Will not affect folding at all. Many of us use PCIe x1 slots with expanders to run GPU's. 

im going to join but can you pause it and carry on the next day if you turn off your pc

You can manually pause the folding. Then restart later. If you shutdown your pc normally, folding will also pause and restart when you power up, continuing on.

You can manually pause the folding. Then restart later. If you shutdown your pc normally, folding will also pause and restart when you power up, continuing on.

is it a virus?

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

ok ive joined up, if i exit the program can i resume the same thing the next day?

Spoiler

ok ive joined up, if i exit the program can i resume the same thing the next day?

highlighting what he said in the comment you just replied to  "If you shutdown your pc normally, folding will also pause and restart when you power up, continuing on."

yes you should be able to, if you exit the program it will pick up where you left it and keep going if you open it again, work units do however have a date of expiration if you spend to much time on a single wu, your time will run out and you might have to pick up a new one, but it isn't something i would worry about.

highlighting what he said in the comment you just replied to  "If you shutdown your pc normally, folding will also pause and restart when you power up, continuing on."

yes you should be able to, if you exit the program it will pick up where you left it and keep going if you open it again, work units do however have a date of expiration if you spend to much time on a single wu, your time will run out and you might have to pick up a new one, but it isn't something i would worry about.

ok i only do it when im on my pc but when i put meduim my cpu is at 100% why?

Spoiler

ok i only do it when im on my pc but when i put meduim my cpu is at 100% why?

i have never been fussed about the intensity settings as i want my hardware running at 100% as much as possible, but try reducing it to light, i think medium means the cpu goes at full throttle but the gpu waits for computer to go idle before if starts folding, full means both cpu and gpu is folding regardless of computer being idle or not, going light might reduce the load on the cpu.

Nice, just like that in 7 days I have more points then my previous folding run of a few months.

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth X58  Cooler: Scythe Ninja 3 + Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RAM: 3 x 2 GB Corsair Value Ram, 3 x 4 GB Corsair Value Ram GPU: MSI GTX 780 Lightning; SSD: Corsair Force 3 128GB Storage: 1 x 1 TB HDD (Samsung + 2 WD + Seagate) Case: CM 690 II Advanced Mouse: Steelseries Ikari + Steelseries Qck Mini Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 Controller: Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless Controller Instrument (Rocksmith 2014): Yamaha BB414

Nice, just like that in 7 days I have more points then my previous folding run of a few months.

Nice that looks around the points 780 Ti gets

(CPU) i9 9900K  (MB)ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I   (RAM) Royal Z Gold 2x8GB  40000DDR4 (GPU) Radeon VII  (CASE) Shift-X  (Storage)M.2 ADATA XPG8200 Pro/  (PSU)Corsair SF750 (COOLING)-H100I Pro   Folding ID Tim_Kelly

I didn't like that my system was not giving me all the points for folding when I ran a bot for Evony at the same time so I am going to try the i7, I went from over 80k points per unit down to 60k.

I got this feeling that points per job now is much more higher than in 2011.

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth X58  Cooler: Scythe Ninja 3 + Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RAM: 3 x 2 GB Corsair Value Ram, 3 x 4 GB Corsair Value Ram GPU: MSI GTX 780 Lightning; SSD: Corsair Force 3 128GB Storage: 1 x 1 TB HDD (Samsung + 2 WD + Seagate) Case: CM 690 II Advanced Mouse: Steelseries Ikari + Steelseries Qck Mini Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 Controller: Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless Controller Instrument (Rocksmith 2014): Yamaha BB414

2 more work units before I hit 21 WU; and about 2 weeks more before I hit 1M points.

just joined

Nickolas47

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

I got this feeling that points per job now is much more higher than in 2011.

GPU points are a lot higher...

just joined

Nickolas47

Welcome!

GPU points are a lot higher...

I folded with my GTX 570 previously.