Motherboard caps really hot

Hi guys, 

Not sure if they're capacitors or chokes? probably need to some more research (see attached image) 

But i've just been building a PC with a friend, now i've built a few myself including my own PC and this is the first time i've encountered this issue

Basically we're using a Ryzen 1500 and 550w PSU it only has 4 pins for the CPU and the board has a 8 pin slot, now i know Ryzen can run off a 4pin connection it has, it also happily supplied power gtx 1060, but when we connected fans it wouldn't post at all, the PSU didn't even seem to have any life, i could hear the boar whining a little and i could feel heat coming from the board, and stupidly i touched the capacitor/choke and it was really hot like really really hot, it burnt my skin and it was on there for a second if that, 

any ideas why this happened? 

image.png.ce54c3870a95897711c788ba9c918bf2.png

what cheapo 550W has only a 4Pin P4 connector?!

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

Just now, TheLaserCucumber said:

what cheapo 550W has only a 4Pin P4 connector?!

A cheap one apparently, but that didn't answer my question. 

Maybe it does.

You said:

14 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

the PSU didn't even seem to have any life

Have you tested the system afterwards? Maybe your PSU blew up.

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

Just now, JackDoyne said:

A cheap one apparently, but that didn't answer my question. 

What part exactly was it? Vcore or 12v side? Was it square or circular? If it got that hot there is probably some casualties. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

What part exactly was it? Vcore or 12v side? Was it square or circular? If it got that hot there is probably some casualties. 

He marked it on the picture, the caps near the DIMM slots

Just now, TheLaserCucumber said:

He marked it on the picture, the caps near the DIMM slots

Didn't notice it lol, damn RGB craze had made be ignore random colours on motherboards. Those really shouldn't be hot, like at all

Sounds like the board might have been DOA

Yours faithfully

Did you try the other 4 pin slot? And being able to boot with only 4 of 8 pins isn't always true. It really depends on the board and cpu

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Define "real hot".  Anything above 40°C is painfully hot, so much so that you won't be able to hold on to it for longer periods of time.  60°C will instantly feel like you're burning yourself.  That's still well within normal operating temperatures. 

Those that you circled are capacitors and they're there to smooth out the power going to the memory sticks, but they should be just barely warm, certainly not hot enough that you can't hold your fingers on them.

You could have a motherboard with bad memory voltage regulator, something you can't fix so you'll have to return the motherboard or submit it to warranty.

I have the same board, i'll check mine but highest temp i have recorded was 47°C on the VCore VRM. Warm to touch.

I think the shitty PSU is your problem.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Define hot - My finger now has a blister on it and it briefly touched it, for like a second, i could feel the heat just by holding my hand near the board, 

Did i try the other 4 pin slot - no, it took up the middle 4 so there was 2 free pins either side, and it wouldn't fit the other way 

Update: tried another PSU with no luck, however once we removed it from the case it posted again and was stable? seems odd 

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Define "real hot".  Anything above 40°C is painfully hot, so much so that you won't be able to hold on to it for longer periods of time.  60°C will instantly feel like you're burning yourself.  That's still well within normal operating temperatures. 

3 hours ago, Airdragonz said:

Did you try the other 4 pin slot? And being able to boot with only 4 of 8 pins isn't always true. It really depends on the board and cpu

13 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

Define hot - My finger now has a blister on it and it briefly touched it, for like a second, i could feel the heat just by holding my hand near the board, 

Did i try the other 4 pin slot - no, it took up the middle 4 so there was 2 free pins either side, and it wouldn't fit the other way 

Update: tried another PSU with no luck, however once we removed it from the case it posted again and was stable? seems odd 

If something got hot enough for you to get burnt then you've got a serious problem on the mobo. Caps don't take kindly to temps much over 100 C. 

Must be a short somewhere on the power lines. Check your standoffs or back of the motherboard?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2017 at 10:13 PM, juretrn said:

If something got hot enough for you to get burnt then you've got a serious problem on the mobo. Caps don't take kindly to temps much over 100 C. 

Must be a short somewhere on the power lines. Check your standoffs or back of the motherboard?

Update: we took it out of the case and it worked, and then placing it in the case worked?

We didn't change anything at all either, 

But it works, which is the main thing...