Which HardDrive should i Use in in HP Workstation z800.

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

RAID/NAS drives are designed for just that, so if it's going in a workstation, there's no much point. Enterprise grade drives are typically designed for datacentre operation, so again, not much point. 

A WD Black would be my recommendation, mainly for the 5 year warranty. 

If you don't want to spend that much, a normal desktop drive will still do well. WD Blue, Seagate Barracuda and Toshiba P300 are all good, so maybe go for the cheapest and best available one of those. 

Guys i have a HP Z800 Workstation. 

I'm a VFX artist i work in hollywood Movies as a freelancer. I'm thinking to buy 2TB Hard Drive but which Drive should i buy for my workstation. I use Nuke X and do alot of Heavy VFX editing work and all. 

I'm confused which HD should i buy Raid , Enterprises hard drive or some normal one?. 

Please help its urgent,

Thanks 

RAID/NAS drives are designed for just that, so if it's going in a workstation, there's no much point. Enterprise grade drives are typically designed for datacentre operation, so again, not much point. 

If you don't want to spend that much, a normal desktop drive will still do well. WD Blue, Seagate Barracuda and Toshiba P300 are all good, so maybe go for the cheapest and best available one of those. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Are you talking about this WD Black?. just want to cross check before buy anything. 

s-l1600.jpg

Yup. That's the one. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

10 minutes ago, AJN Effects said:

Are you talking about this WD Black?. just want to cross check before buy anything. 

Yes. 

25 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Thanks guys, Money is not the problem, but i want something strong which can handle my work properly, Because last week my normal SATA Drive crashed suddenly.  

Just now, AJN Effects said:

Thanks guys, Money is not the problem, but i want something strong which can handle my work properly, Because last week my normal SATA Drive crashed suddenly.  

If you're working from it, it may be a good idea to get an SSD to use as a scratch disk. To unload your current project files onto the SSD and from from there, then move them onto the HDD for storage. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If you're working from it, it may be a good idea to get an SSD to use as a scratch disk. To unload your current project files onto the SSD and from from there, then move them onto the HDD for storage. 

ooh ok.. 

i was searching on google and i found this " HP Z Turbo Drive G2 " 

PCI SSD something. 

I'm not into that much hard ware thing so dont know about this , is it also a good option? for good performence

3 minutes ago, AJN Effects said:

ooh ok.. 

i was searching on google and i found this " HP Z Turbo Drive G2 " 

PCI SSD something. 

I'm not into that much hard ware thing so dont know about this , is it also a good option? for good performence

Not worth the money, HP seems to be charging a fortune for it. 

I would stick with a SATA SSD for now. If you get a desire for more speed, you could look into a PCIe based SSD, but I would go for HP's offerings, they're stupidly expensive. There's options available from the likes of Samsung and Intel that are better for the cost. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Not worth the money, HP seems to be charging a fortune for it. 

I would stick with a SATA SSD for now. If you get a desire for more speed, you could look into a PCIe based SSD, but I would go for HP's offerings, they're stupidly expensive. There's options available from the likes of Samsung and Intel that are better for the cost. 

ooh ok so then i will buy WD black 2tb and use my externals for backup project files. but for internal drive i will use that WD Black.

Is it a nice idea?

1 minute ago, AJN Effects said:

ooh ok so then i will buy WD black 2tb and use my externals for backup project files. but for internal drive i will use that WD Black.

Is it a nice idea?

It's generally the best idea to use a external drive for the backup, yes. If you're short on space, you could also move any inactive or complete files to an external drive and remove them from the internal drive to free up space. 

Ya sure , Thanks alot for all this help. Thanks alot. you guys are amazing <3 

bro need help.. The WD Black HD is not available in market right now, which HD should i buy now?..

On 19/12/2017 at 11:33 AM, AJN Effects said:

bro need help.. The WD Black HD is not available in market right now, which HD should i buy now?..

Using 2 barracuda's here. I don't work in Hollywood, but have been doing some freelance work for a small movie and other things. Is the model of your workstation z800 or is it z820/z840. I have a z420. I use two SSDs, one for programmes and windows, and another pcie based ssd for projects, I then move them onto my HDDs, and then back them up.