Does the ps3 require an hdd to boot?

Coaxialgamer

I'm looking at buying a broken ps3 to try and repair it. I'm bored and need a project. 

Anyway , the one i am buying doesn't have an hdd inside. Does it need one in order to boot? Is the os stored on it? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Yes it does but if you add a fresh one the system will auto add everything it needs onto the drive.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Yes it does, to load the operating system and the UI

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

It actually depends on what model you're getting as the original fat and the slim variants will require a HDD, but the super slim might not since there were versions that had limited on board storage which contained the OS and such which would be moved over to the hard drive if one was installed (although it might be that the OS remains on the solid state storage and the remaining files are moved over).

57 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I'm looking at buying a broken ps3 to try and repair it. I'm bored and need a project. 

Anyway , the one i am buying doesn't have an hdd inside. Does it need one in order to boot? Is the os stored on it? 

If it is the same as PS4, it might do something without a HDD.

But you can use any WORKING 2,5" HDD you have lying around. 

You just need a USB Stick with the Firmware Image.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"