Alienware AW3418DW vs X34 Predator! Or Wait For 200Hz? (New Optimum Tech Video)

Qap

A smaller tech channel dropped a video today comparing the AW with the X34.

Literally only the second video on the AW in english on youtube. Nobody else is covering this thing.

(Not affiliated with them in any way. Hopefully its alright to post this here. Apologies if not.)

On 12/17/2017 at 10:33 AM, Qap said:

Literally only the second video on the AW in english on youtube. Nobody else is covering this thing.

(Not affiliated with them in any way. Hopefully its alright to post this here. Apologies if not.)

Im having the same debate with myself and found the same video, im very heavily leaning towards the alienware variation. The overall look of it for one, the lack of the red accents and no glossy black fingerprint and scuff magnet plastic is a huge win. the deeper curve of it is also extremely appealing imo. Personally i dont want to wait for 200hz, they will likely be VA panels so bleh and realistically the horsepower it would take to hit those frame rates at this resolution would be kinda bonkers.

The alienware model is the obvious pick in my mind and will very likely be ordering one up any day now.

50 minutes ago, xToFxREAPER said:

Personally i dont want to wait for 200hz, they will likely be VA panels so bleh and realistically the horsepower it would take to hit those frame rates at this resolution would be kinda bonkers.

The new panels will indeed be VA, and youre right about not being able to push them with the available hardware anyway.

On 17/12/2017 at 11:03 PM, Qap said:

As many people say 200 fps at 3440×1440 would not be achievable. The new 200Hz monitors would be VA and that means high contrast ratio but if you want that get a Samsung C34F791 or Acer Predator Z35P!!! They are 100Hz (OC to 120Hz on 2nd one!!), and are FreeSync and G-Sync respectively. 

As for the AW3418DW or X34, well for pure gaming the AW3418DW wins, but if you are into video editing or image editing which involves a lot of colour profiles, the X34 is the choice. However, the PG348Q has even better colour profile optimization. So the AW3418DW for strict gaming, the X34 for a balance, and PG348Q for full blown colour profile work. 

53 minutes ago, ReyazJunior said:

"Samsung C34F791 or Acer Predator Z35P!!! They are 100Hz (OC to 120Hz on 2nd one!!)"

"As for the AW3418DW or X34, well for pure gaming the AW3418DW wins, but if you are into video editing or image editing which involves a lot of colour profiles, the X34 is the choice. However, the PG348Q has even better colour profile optimization. So the AW3418DW for strict gaming, the X34 for a balance, and PG348Q for full blown colour profile work."

C34F791 is a good 'budget' option if you dont need gsync, and dont mind VA. (Feels weird saying that about a ~$900 dollar monitor, but here we are.)

The Z35P only goes to 100hz, unfortunately.

The AW3418DW would obviously have less contrast and brightness than the VA panels you mentioned, but is still able to achieve a 99% RGB gamut (iirc) and to my understanding would be completely acceptable for video editing and even image editors with an ultrawide/gaming bias, as far as that is concerned.

And unless im mistaken, dont the majority of video/image editors use IPS panels anyway? High contrast/brightness are great for content consumption, but arent color reproduction/correctness/accuracy be far more important qualities for that type of work? Also, the viewing angle color distortion that VA panels are known for would be a large drawback.

4 hours ago, Qap said:

C34F791 is a good 'budget' option if you dont need gsync, and dont mind VA. (Feels weird saying that about a ~$900 dollar monitor, but here we are.)

The Z35P only goes to 100hz, unfortunately.

The AW3418DW would obviously have less contrast and brightness than the VA panels you mentioned, but is still able to achieve a 99% RGB gamut (iirc) and to my understanding would be completely acceptable for video editing and even image editors with an ultrawide/gaming bias, as far as that is concerned.

And unless im mistaken, dont the majority of video/image editors use IPS panels anyway? High contrast/brightness are great for content consumption, but arent color reproduction/correctness/accuracy be far more important qualities for that type of work? Also, the viewing angle color distortion that VA panels are known for would be a large drawback.

Well, for the casual person, content watching sessions matter, and that's where VA is better for those sitting in front of their monitor. The Z35P does go to 120Hz.

And I did I recommend the IPS ultrawides for content creators. The slightly better viewing angles IPS provided will be fruitful only if you are away from your monitor and many people are watching too. But the video in the original post by the OP  you does mention the X34 will be a bit better for content creation. The PG348Q is a tiny bit better at what at X34 does, but not much. The AW3418DW is good if you want 120Hz with IPS ultrawides. So it's definitely a sweet spot for high refresh rate gaming and content creation. But for creators who just need better profile coverage the X34 or PG348Q is better. 

8 hours ago, ReyazJunior said:

The Z35P does go to 120Hz.

My mistake.