DAC/Amp for gaming with HD6XX?

phantom160

I just  got HD6XX and I'm currently using it with Dragonfly Red. The music experience is amazing, but the gaming part is a little less optimal in terms of spacial sound. Is there any DAC/Amp that would improve the situation? Will I hear any difference if I get shiit stack instead of Dragnofly Red?

Thank you!

Probably not, huh. The DragonFly Red is one of the best DACS out there, so I don't really think that switching to schiit audio wouldn't make a huge difference, but yet it would cost a lot.

What you can do is tinker around with an equalizer, those tend to customize the sound based on where you're using the headphones. For an example, you can create one profile for gaming, one for music listening, one for movies etc.

Buying a new DAC/AMP, even from schiit audio wouldn't make a huge difference if any at all compared to the DragonFly Red.

Try something like Equalizer APO in combination with Peace Equalizer, UI for Equalizer APO, then follow up on this thread how it went.

Downloads:

1. Equalizer APO: https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

2. Peace Equalizer, UI for Equalizer APO: https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

Not much. But a worthy upgrade nonetheless. The Schiit stack is much more versatile.

One of the general knocks against the hd6xx is that it doesn’t have the greatest sound stage so there is only so much you’ll be able to do with a change in DAC

4 hours ago, kmathieu2220 said:

One of the general knocks against the hd6xx is that it doesn’t have the greatest sound stage so there is only so much you’ll be able to do with a change in DAC

Yes, I agree, the HD6XX, while excelling at reproducing sound, doesn't quite have a wide soundstage. 

At OP, IF the soundstage of the HD6XX is what you find lacking, then I'm afraid there's nothing much that can be done about it.

As for the claim that the Dragonfly Red is one of the best DAC's out there, I dunno about that. But if that's true, then I think the same goes for the iFi Nano iDSD as well.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

13 hours ago, Loliplol said:

The DragonFly Red is one of the best DACS out there,

What???? xD Don't say things when you have no idea what you are saying

Anyway nothing about the Amp/DAC is going to change them enough to where gaming would be better. I game in my 6XXs, I think they are pretty good myself. They wouldn't be my first pick, but they are decent enough.

14 hours ago, Loliplol said:

Probably not, huh. The DragonFly Red is one of the best DACS out there

Yeah no, it is not even close. Meier audio, schiit, audio gd and soekris all have DACs that beats it without a sweat.

The dragonfly products are mediocre at best.

OP a DAC and amp can help you a little bit, but only if you get a DAC and amp with a very wide sound and sadly I don't really know any you can get for like 1k or less that has a very wide sound.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

20 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Yeah no, it is not even close. Meier audio, schiit, audio gd and soekris all have DACs that beats it without a sweat.

The dragonfly products are mediocre at best.

OP a DAC and amp can help you a little bit, but only if you get a DAC and amp with a very wide sound and sadly I don't really know any you can get for like 1k or less that has a very wide sound.

I was thinking of getting mixamp + magni 3, based on the gaming headphones guide on headfi. Not sure about mixamp, but magni should be a significant improvement in itself.

3 hours ago, phantom160 said:

I was thinking of getting mixamp + magni 3, based on the gaming headphones guide on headfi. Not sure about mixamp, but magni should be a significant improvement in itself.

Are you talking about the trash Astro mixamp? Also what guide are you referring to?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, phantom160 said:

a lot of the stuff he recommends is garbage for the price. God damn, that is actually worse than what the deaf zeos would recommend, I never thought that I would see that day come.

Nothing is going to magically make the HD 650 great for gaming, you can invest 2k in a DAC and amp and a set of K612, K712 or any ATH AD headphones will have a bigger soundstage.