8700k, Strix 1080ti, Noctua NH-D15, Corsair Vengeance RAM, Define C case, cool enough?

PeterD1001

Hi all,

About to build my first gaming pc. I like the size look of the Define C case. 

From what I can gather all of the above components do fit including the cooler, just!

I'm after a sleek looking, non gamer type case and also fairly quiet running, hence the choice of air cooler.

I'd also like to oc the CPU and GPU a bit. So my question is will it run cool enough in a small case like this?

The case comes with one front 120mm and one rear 120mm fan, obviously I can add another front or add two front 140mms, the exhaust looks limited to one 120mm though, I do want a positive pressure airflow.

Anyone got a similar air cooled set up in a small case like this? How are the thermals? The last thing I want is it overheating or having the fans running crazy loud.

Should I just go for the slightly bigger Define S, or maybe the Meshify?

TIA

Fill every fan slot with slow spinning fans (400-700 rpm or so) so the core components don't have to work so hard and it will be near dead silent.  Meshify C will be a good bit better on thermals

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

@tp95112 thanks mate, yes I went with that cooler and gpu based on the good cooling and quiet running. My only concern is will I get enough airflow through this case, being one of the smaller ones, to enable them to do their job

airflow is pretty decent in the Define C, not the best but still not bad. I have one and i love working with this frame. Only issues i have really had with it are my own foult for trying to cram too much stuff into it xD the NH-D15 is a great choice but for even more silence id go for the Dark Rock 3 instead

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Bro, I'm running my i7 in a Node202 with a Cryorig C7 and it still doesn't throttle. 

You are fine. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Fill every fan slot with slow spinning fans (400-700 rpm or so) so the core components don't have to work so hard and it will be near dead silent.  Meshify C will be a good bit better on thermals

I was also considering the Meshify, not as good to look at in my opinion but would defo have some extra airflow.

So maybe replace the front 120mm with two 140mms and all good?

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

airflow is pretty decent in the Define C, not the best but still not bad. I have one and i love working with this frame. Only issues i have really had with it are my own foult for trying to cram too much stuff into it xD the NH-D15 is a great choice but for even more silence id go for the Dark Rock 3 instead

The Dark Rock 3 looks a hell of a lot better and is cheaper too. I heard it's a bit of a bitch to fit though?

Have you got a similar air cooled setup with the Define C then? No thermal issues even with overclocking?

1 minute ago, PeterD1001 said:

I was also considering the Meshify, not as good to look at in my opinion but would defo have some extra airflow.

So maybe replace the front 120mm with two 140mms and all good?

Yup, the more fans you have, the slower you can run them.  If you have 2 120's up top, 2 140's in the front and a 120 in the back it'll be capable of either insane cooling or insane silence at the touch of a button

Just now, PeterD1001 said:

The Dark Rock 3 looks a hell of a lot better and is cheaper too. I heard it's a bit of a bitch to fit though?

Yup, but if you don't plan on messing around with it you should be fine.  One time PITA isn't that bad

Just now, PeterD1001 said:

Have you got a similar air cooled setup with the Define C then? No thermal issues even with overclocking?

i have a 360mm rad + 240mm rad custom loop, check out Northern Bee in my sig if you care, so no i dont have any experience with air cooling in this case. i do have experience with BeQuiet coolers, and yes they are a bit of a pain to mount, especially if compared to Noctua or Cryorig but its not like its impossible

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

22 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i have a 360mm rad + 240mm rad custom loop, check out Northern Bee in my sig if you care, so no i dont have any experience with air cooling in this case. i do have experience with BeQuiet coolers, and yes they are a bit of a pain to mount, especially if compared to Noctua or Cryorig but its not like its impossible

I got an ancient thermaright 775 cooler for a budget p55 build (backwards compatibility, yay!) and dear god, I nearly broke one of the capacitors getting it on.  Compared to that every othe cooler I've used feels dead easy