Upgrading ram for old motherboard, compatible list not found

R001
Go to solution Solved by HalGameGuru,

they don't evaluate that specific kit but there are some similarly clocked and timed ones that are compatible. If you ran it stock or XMP'ed it should work and I would think worst case scenario you'd bump the clocks to 1600 and just degrade the CAS Latency a little bit. It's a good board.

Should have posted this along the first question I guess, sorry for that

Another (last) upgrade I am doing is replacing old ram (2x2GB) with (2x4GB), the ram I have picked is this, I ignored the faster almost identical model (just 3 dollars more) for comparability sake.

The motherboard (MSI P55 Fuzion) manual links to a compatible list (calls it test report) but the link: testreport is gone and is not even a specific link.

With google there is Compatibility list from Crucial rams but they are over budget, there is a compatible list from userbewnchmark.com but 1. they list 2x8GB as compatible although is not supported by manual specs (4GB max of the slot) 2. have no patriot ram in the list.

I looked at the manual specs for RAM but I read that testing is required, is there anything I can do make sure that this model I am buying works with my PC, can't send it back if I buy it...

1 minute ago, HalGameGuru said:

is that not the model with 4 ram slots?

yes 4 slots, dual mode, 16GB max (15 actual), 4GB per slot,  DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/2000*/2133*(OC)

they don't evaluate that specific kit but there are some similarly clocked and timed ones that are compatible. If you ran it stock or XMP'ed it should work and I would think worst case scenario you'd bump the clocks to 1600 and just degrade the CAS Latency a little bit. It's a good board.

3 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

I visited the motherboard page 50 times and never managed to find that PDF :$ Thank you!

I am going to rely on you because I have no clue how you see ram as similar, I mean just because a RAM is rated 1600 with same timing and volt does not mean they both will work according to what I noticed from people experience? but defiantly avoid the 1866 one? I don't overclock anyway

@R001

The BIOS and contemplated memory support XMP. There should be no problem using the memory in that motherboard.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

16 minutes ago, brob said:

@R001

The BIOS and contemplated memory support XMP. There should be no problem using the memory in that motherboard.

Second confirmation, that's more than good, I'm shipping it international so don't want to buy another one, just wondering why do they do testing like in the PDF, I mean can't they rely on specs to tell? what goes wrong?

@R001

Part of the reason is past need & practice. There are still systems in which memory QVL is important. When Ryzen was first introduced for example, and to some extent even today, it is a good idea to insure memory has been tested with particular motherboard.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 minutes ago, brob said:

@R001

Part of the reason is past need & practice. There are still systems in which memory QVL is important. When Ryzen was first introduced for example, and to some extent even today, it is a good idea to insure memory has been tested with particular motherboard.

Fingers crossed, thank you for help here too, appreciate it!

A lot of it has to do with the specific dies involved. Anything over 1333? is technically overclocked. There's a lot more than just CAS timings but its a decent chipset, that board has decent power delivery, and as long as you are using a decent kit and all the parts are in good condition it should be pretty robust.

Stock/XMP is the main criteria here, stock it should work most anywhere, XMP'ed to its advertised speed should be stable, but I wouldn't do any hard and heavy OC'ing without some backup.

18 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

A lot of it has to do with the specific dies involved. Anything over 1333? is technically overclocked. There's a lot more than just CAS timings but its a decent chipset, that board has decent power delivery, and as long as you are using a decent kit and all the parts are in good condition it should be pretty robust.

Stock/XMP is the main criteria here, stock it should work most anywhere, XMP'ed to its advertised speed should be stable, but I wouldn't do any hard and heavy OC'ing without some backup.

Can't thank you enough for the help man, for the PDFs and information, I am going to use the ram at stock speed, I just don't want cashing in my PC, 3GB (32bit OS) is killing me, when I got the PC it felt really fast, now with firewall and antivirus and greedy browsers it's constantly reading/writing, a nightmare, just wanted the cheapest safe upgrade to prolong it's life and mine lol, shipping international so can't risk compatibility issues, thank you!

RAM will help, an SSD will help too. I suggest 8GB RAM as a starting point now a days, but if you want a PC thats blazing put aside a little money for an SSD. They still aren't cheap but they are getting darn affordable.

27 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

RAM will help, an SSD will help too. I suggest 8GB RAM as a starting point now a days, but if you want a PC thats blazing put aside a little money for an SSD. They still aren't cheap but they are getting darn affordable.

I am watching Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III in my "saved for later" section, I hope it will improve things, I am getting irritated by read/write sounds due to low RAM but sadly this motherboard is known for problems in SATA III so might have to rely on SATA II which is why I didn't get SSD until now, I even sold a hybrid SSHD without trying it because of this problem, should have tried it but wasn't interested in its abilities. I also hope they make a deal on it while other items are discounted too, I have to get at least 2-3 items together or I will pay 50-65 dollars in shipping, when is the next discount day? or you never know?

P55 should take any DDR3 RAM

19 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

P55 should take any DDR3 RAM

Good to know :)

Depending on where you order from you could use Linus' promo code for Honey and keep abreast of any big discounts and coupon codes.

39 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

Depending on where you order from you could use Linus' promo code for Honey and keep abreast of any big discounts and coupon codes.

I added honey extension, it will find me the linus codes?

2 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

no just the usual coupon codes and discounts. I was talking more about the linus code to sign up for it

Code to use while registering for honey? isn't honey free? I didn't register yet but it's already working, I guess they need registering to send you notifications?

I think Honey gets a kickback from the retailer when you use them to get the discounts and the promo codes for signing up give the person you signed up through a portion of the kickback. Like the affiliate links.

12 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

I think Honey gets a kickback from the retailer when you use them to get the discounts and the promo codes for signing up give the person you signed up through a portion of the kickback. Like the affiliate links.

I still don't know the code :)

54 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

it was just joinhoney(dot)com/Linus

Used it to join, not sure how this site works wit Amazon, it should have thousand of coupons for it to work