Default Allocation Unit Size Performance

After reading countless articles and no useful videos, I have reached with the following conclusion

So lets say the default cluster size is 4kb base on this chart attached (link) and the said folder or drive will be formatted for storage of files size in the range of 1-2mb. To have faster access time I should make the unit size < default cluster size but to "save" space ≥ default cluster size.

I need someone(s) to confirm this or at least a second opinion. 

chart for units.JPG

I'm pretty sure you have it backwards

The bigger you make the cluster size the more space you waste.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

I'm pretty sure you have it backwards

The bigger you make the cluster size the more space you waste.

Huh really cause i though we you x<4k/default then fitting more bytes in a given area

oh i tested going large helps with the loading large amounts of files at once in file explorer 

2 minutes ago, Graf Nep said:

Huh really cause i though we you x<4k/default then fitting more bytes in a given area

oh i tested going large helps with the loading large amounts of files at once in file explorer 

Yeah it's faster because there's less clusters to search.

A larger cluster wastes more space because files smaller than that cluster size will take up the whole cluster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cluster

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 12/15/2017 at 10:54 AM, Enderman said:

Yeah it's faster because there's less clusters to search.

A larger cluster wastes more space because files smaller than that cluster size will take up the whole cluster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cluster

yea but it not really that much wasted space?

8 hours ago, Graf Nep said:

yea but it not really that much wasted space?

Depends how many files and what size of files.

If all you have are 8kb and the chunk size is 16kb then 50% of the space is wasted.

Spoiler