Windows help

Lowspecgamer

I built a computer a year ago and now I’m upgrading the cpu,motherboard, and ram. I had a Windows 8.1 oem key and I know I can’t use it anymore if I change the motherboard.Should I buy a new Windows 10 os or just buy another windows 8.1 key to reactivate my pc without having to lose all my files?

You wouldn't lose any files even if it isn't reactivated. Up to you whether you want to upgrade to Windows 10 or not. Keep in mind that the windows 8.1 keys should work on 10 if you decide to upgrade. @GoodBytes could probably explain it better than me.

You should buy Win10 if you need to buy a new key. There's no reason to get older OS if you don't have any special software requiring it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You should buy Win10 if you need to buy a new key. There's no reason to get older OS if you don't have any special software requiring it.

So how would I technically  do that if I already have an os?

15 minutes ago, Lowspecgamer said:

Can we hear what drives you have? 

My recommendation is to do backups now of all you files if you have a secondary drive and clean install win10 on your (assumed) SSD when you are done upgrading then copy files from or restore the backup when win10 is fully updated to 1709.

This will ensure a stable system with all your files. 

Win 8.1 and 10 CAN be migrated by simply booting the old installation from the "new pc" and waiting for devices to register and that DOES save you having to reinstall all your apps and games again, but a clean install is personally preffered. 

I would also at least try to activate Win 10 with your existing key on the new mobo before buying a new key. 

Good luck 

35 minutes ago, Lowspecgamer said:

Install new OS and select to keep old OS files. Move desired files to new location and delete that windows.old folder. Or just copy backup to another drive and do full reinstall.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8.1 OEM keys can be used to obtain a transferable digital license for 10.