I need some storage.

Okjoek

I don't normally consider this, but with Net neutrality on its way out in the coming months it got me thinking that maybe I should back up some things I normally take for granted as easily replaceable via the internet.

My mp3 libraries ripped from YT.

Video Games and other emulators, ROMs.

Adult content.

And various other artwork, files.

What's the best solution in terms of durability, bulk affordability and longevity? SD cards? USB flash drives?

HDDs for longetivity. Slow spinning server grade ones are usually better than fast ones.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Newegg has some great deals on 4tb WD Reds right now. 3-4 of those should take care of you, unless you have an unholy amount of content you are trying to store. Also depending on your loss tolerance you might want to consider raid 5, 6, 10, and/or a second back up held elsewhere. 

11 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

I don't normally consider this, but with Net neutrality on its way out in the coming months it got me thinking that maybe I should back up some things I normally take for granted as easily replaceable via the internet.

My mp3 libraries ripped from YT.

Video Games and other emulators, ROMs.

Adult content.

And various other artwork, files.

What's the best solution in terms of durability, bulk affordability and longevity? SD cards? USB flash drives?

NET NEUTRALITY is not going to have any affect on your important files as far as we know don't waste your money. other than being a good idea to backup your important files anyway just get a 2tb external hdd (got a toshiba for $50) so you don't have to have the files all the time unless that matters to you.

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k  (4.7Ghz 1.36v)                                        MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x                  Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd                    PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)

1 minute ago, jet224presents said:

NET NEUTRALITY is not going to have any affect on your important files as far as we know don't waste your money. other than being a good idea to backup your important files anyway just get a 2tb external hdd (got a toshiba for $50) so you don't have to have the files all the time unless that matters to you.

I agree with this, although I'd recommend a WD or Seagate external drive. I've heard of less issues with those drive companies than Toshiba.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Avoid Blue at all costs esp 5400 RPM ones (anything over 2TB). They are the junky Greens or so I've been told, it would make sense with my new 2TB Blue tho... bad like hell...

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I agree with this, although I'd recommend a WD or Seagate external drive. I've heard of less issues with those drive companies than Toshiba.

Toshiba is Hitachi which was bought out by WD :P Plus I've had no issues with them, hell had 1 DOA years ago, one IDE die on me a few months back(abused like you wouldn't believe), and one more died after 9 years 11 months of hell, well it still spins up and writes just forget about reading/removing.

15 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

Newegg has some great deals on 4tb WD Reds right now. 3-4 of those should take care of you, unless you have an unholy amount of content you are trying to store. Also depending on your loss tolerance you might want to consider raid 5, 6, 10, and/or a second back up held elsewhere. 

I have about 14TB hooked up currently beyond my C drive :P running out of space... I have about 20-25TB of HDD space 5TB worth is in Green drives (not including the Blue) Which i will never use again...

Just now, Paytend01 said:

Im also downloading, umm adult content xD

Vanu is better than TR 

umm...

10 hours ago, ThomasAJ88 said:

But yeah, i dont see how Net Neutrality is going to have any effect on your files.
Anyway, can be nice to have a storage place for your data.

But if I lose my files I'm worried that the sites that distribute them will become throttled if not censored outright.

I think I only need 16-64 gb drives I just wasn't sure what form it should take. I'm thinking SD cards.