Possible to solder more VRAM on GPU?

JovanD

so , any of you have tried ? im thinking in doing that too

I find it quite unlikely this is possible. First of, if you haven't done a LOT of SMD soldering you're completely out of luck trying to solder a BGA VRAM chip. It's a pain to say the least. Adding to that, from what I can see there's other SMD components missing on the board (at least a few caps near the chips) and I would not be surprised if the PCB traces themselves would be missing. Adding to that it's very likely NVidia specifically removes that function on a hardware-level.

If you do this you should solely do it for fun and learning purposes and fully expect to brick your card if you aren't experienced.

Also you should really check some out-of-country shops for video cards, or used markets. You can absolutely get an RX 470 for 100€ in Germany and shipping to eastern europe won't be too much. MUCH better option than what you're trying imo

Edit: Wow how didn't I see this thread is from 2017

/Ignore

Edited by -iSynthesis

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

• 5 months later...
On 3/5/2018 at 8:18 PM, Max_Settings said:

I hate questions like this, is it possible? Yes. Could you actually do it? No. You don't have the skills nor the equipment to do. By the time you bought the stuff to do it, it would be far cheaper to just buy a new GPU.

I don’t know why you assume that he/she doesn’t have the technical know-how to do it. I’m so tired of all these answers that tell people to just “go buy a new card/hardware.” If this person is anything like myself and I’m guessing they are, they like to tinker and see what they can get by with sometimes and the person that told him to “get a job and buy a new card,” is a total jackass because they have no idea where the person lives, the shape that the pc component market is in where the poster lives, and what their financial situation is. I’m on here because I was wondering the same thing. My son has an Alienware Steam Machine R1 and he doesn’t want to replace it so I’m looking for ways to squeeze a little extra out of it. The GPU is not upgradable. I may never attempt this but I’m still curious and may do so just to try to prove all the negative douche bags on here wrong. I do a lot of fabrication when I build systems because sometimes it’s just easier to take an amd cpu cooler and an intel cooler and Frankenstein them together to work on the setup you are building instead of ordering one. I used that example because I just did that recently. I soldered an amd bracket to an old aftermarket celeron cooler and used an adapter ring to fasten it to an 1155 intel socket. I do shit like that all the time because I find it much more fun than just “buying parts and sticking them in the slot.”  Long story short, stop giving advice that goes directly against what the poster is asking. If you don’t have an answer then stay quiet. With all that said, I know this post is old but yes as long as you make contact at all points of the memory then it should work. Just like a cpu the gpu has a maximum amount of operating memory so as long as you don’t go over the highest amount they sell for that chip then you’re Golden.