custom loop worth it?

MoYo

So I have been wanting to replace my aio single rad cpu cooler for a while now but I don't know what to get.

I don't want an air cooler. It is either a h220 or a cpu only custom loop.

The h220 is €140 and the custom loop would be €430.

Is a custom loop worth it? I have a Fractal R4 which is not really a great case for watercooling.

It looks like a really fun project to do and I would want to expand the loop after about a year to include my 2 7950's. But the R4 doesn't have enough place for the rads needed to cool the cpu + 2gpu's.

I will not buy a new case so I would have to mod it(maybe 240 modded on the floor?).

Anyway what would be the best thing to do?

- forget the custom loop and grab the h220 which I would probably not expand

- go custom loop which will give me pretty much the same temps for a much higher price and expand after a year?

But I think I would get a decent performance increase by including my 7950's in the loop after a year because they are both great overclockers (both have 7970 reference pcb).

I don't have them overclocked now because the top card gets too hot when overclocked.

Also these would be the parts if I would go full loop, open for suggestions :)

PMf4Tpk.png

7qv7mT7.png

current system:  i5 2500k @4.5ghz cooled by antec 620 - asrock z77 extreme 4 - 8gb corsair RAM - MSI Twin Frorz 7950 in crossfire - XFX 850w  - Fractal design R4 - samsung 840 120gb ssd - 500gb wd blue hdd - 1440p korean qnix monitor (love it!)

Watercooling is never worth it, IMO.

It's more like a hobby.

But if money is no problem, go for it.^^

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

don't bother with it in R4. Stay with air or AIO if you absolutely must.

It's more like a hobby.

qft, I did it for fun and to say I did.

by the way you don't need a kill coil and PTnuke, you need a kill coil or PTnuke. 

Error: 410

It's more like a hobby.

Well I'm quite interested, looks like a nice little project to do 

current system:  i5 2500k @4.5ghz cooled by antec 620 - asrock z77 extreme 4 - 8gb corsair RAM - MSI Twin Frorz 7950 in crossfire - XFX 850w  - Fractal design R4 - samsung 840 120gb ssd - 500gb wd blue hdd - 1440p korean qnix monitor (love it!)

Watercooling is ALWAYS worth it if you have the time & money it really is worth it, your GPU will be cool, your CPU will be cool, and most definitely more quiet, and if you spend time, better looking.

1. if you have the money

2. if you have the time

3. if you have the commitment

if you have all 3 above then go for it.

if you have 2 of 3 then still go for it, if not, maybe its not something for you.

its my "mark of a nolife enthusiast" to complete your first build, similarly is your first WC build, its a real challenge and i enjoyed every bit of it.

Watercooling is ALWAYS worth it if you feel the time & money is worth it, your GPU will be cool, your CPU will be cool, and most definitely more quiet, and if you spend time, better looking.

1. if you have the money

2. if you have the time

if you have 2 of 3 then still go for it, if not, maybe its not something for you.

its my "mark of a nolife enthusiast" to complete your firs build, similarly is your first WC build, its a real challenge and i enjoyed every bit of it.

pretty much this, but I don't agree with the being worth it, but that's my opinion. ^^

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

don't bother with it in R4. Stay with air or AIO if you absolutely must.

by the way you don't need a kill coil and PTnuke, you need a kill coil or PTnuke. 

I was afraid of that, would need an awesome vacation job to be able to buy the watercooling stuf for the gpu's and something like a 750d to replace my R4.

oh okay thanks :)

pretty much this, but I don't agree with the being worth it, but that's my opinion. ^^

if CPU only loop then yes, its pretty unnecessary, but if you can cool your GPU to 50~ Degrees your overclocking headroom increases MUCH,

i managed an extra 300mhz on the core and 250 memory by building a simple 120 rad (80mm thickness) P&P GPU loop over aircooling on my MSI GTX 670 power editon

Watercooling is ALWAYS worth it if you have the time & money it really is worth it, your GPU will be cool, your CPU will be cool, and most definitely more quiet, and if you spend time, better looking.

1. if you have the money

2. if you have the time

its my "mark of a nolife enthusiast" to complete your first build, similarly is your first WC build, its a real challenge and i enjoyed every bit of it.

1. I don't have the budget to go full loop but after a year or so I would be able to buy the remaining parts to add the gpu's

2. In the middle of exams atm but no exams until june after these :P

3. I do! 

But it seems like it is going to cost a lot in the end :/

IF you need the cooling, go with the Glacer 240 and expand if you need to. Look at Linus' unboxing and review.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Custom watercooling loops are for enthusiasts and OC fanatics. I count myself to both of these species :) . But it is true it's expensive, and a hobby and it looks just awesome :D .

If you are going the extra mile when it comes to OC then yes a custom loop rocks, but just for having one... not worth the time and the money.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Watercool is expensive, a lot more expensive than I thought and once you've started, there's no going back...

My system is just 2 rads, single GPU, I started in Jan and I would say i'm $1500-$1600 in just on watercooling stuff... 

Watercool is expensive, a lot more expensive than I thought and once you've started, there's no going back...

My system is just 2 rads, single GPU, I started in Jan and I would say i'm $1500-$1600 in just on watercooling stuff... 

wow that's a lot. I won't be spending that much :P

If you're like me and you hate PC noise, then it's totally worth it!

I really hate it too, this damn aio is too loud!! 

If you're like me and you hate PC noise, then it's totally worth it!

what do you think? replace the aio with a h220 which has a loud pump apparently or cpu only loop.  which gives me the possibility to expand in the future.

The custom loop would be cheaper than the one I originaly posted but it will still include a D5 pump. Price would be €330.

Its worth it if its something that interests you,GPU's reap large benefits from it,more so than the CPU.

If you like to tinker then its something to get into.

Personally,get the best rig you can THEN watercool it,dont sacrifice rig hardware specs just to watercool it

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Its worth it if its something that interests you,GPU's reap large benefits from it,more so than the CPU.

If you like to tinker then its something to get into.

Personally,get the best rig you can THEN watercool it,dont sacrifice rig hardware specs just to watercool it

My rig is up to date IMO, ssd, good cpu, good psu and my 7950's can run pretty much every game at max settings on my 1440p monitor. No need to upgrade any of that :) rig is also in my sig btw.

what do you think? replace the aio with a h220 which has a loud pump apparently or cpu only loop.  which gives me the possibility to expand in the future.

The custom loop would be cheaper than the one I originaly posted but it will still include a D5 pump. Price would be €330.

isn't your GPU the loudest part in your rig?

My machine has GPU+CPU in the loop, cooled by a dual 120mm radiator and cost about €520, excluding the fans. (build log in sig) Considering I have 5 Noctua's in my system, that's another €100 easily. PC is dead quiet, though :) I would go with full custom instead of AIO anytime. AIO performance is about the same as high end air coolers.

isn't your GPU the loudest part in your rig?

My machine has GPU+CPU in the loop, cooled by a dual 120mm radiator and cost about €520, excluding the fans. (build log in sig) Considering I have 5 Noctua's in my system, that's another €100 easily. PC is dead quiet, though :) I would go with full custom instead of AIO anytime. AIO performance is about the same as high end air coolers.

Only when gaming the top card can get pretty loud but I just crank up the volume of the game a bit :P I don't have the money now to buy 2 gpu blocks, extra radiators and fittings. I would want to add those in the loop when I have the proper budget to do so.

Only when gaming the top card can get pretty loud but I just crank up the volume of the game a bit :P I don't have the money now to buy 2 gpu blocks, extra radiators and fittings. I would want to add those in the loop when I have the proper budget to do so.

Oh, you have a dual GPU setup... Yeah that can get quite costly :P You won't have enough with a dual 120mm radiator, that's for sure...

Oh, you have a dual GPU setup... Yeah that can get quite costly :P You won't have enough with a dual 120mm radiator, that's for sure...

Yeah it's not going to be cheap but that are wories for later :P now I'm only cooling the cpu. Where did you buy your watercooling parts?