Concerns about windows 10 product key

GrandMushroom5

I am building a new system this christmas and like most other people(i presume) i would like to install windows on it. I am looking to buy a cheap product key from a seller on ebay, but the thing is i am worried that is there a possibility that the key could have a root kit or malware or something attach the key that will infect my computer once i finished installing it. I really feel like i am just over thinking it and i shouldn’t be worrying about it but i want to know the answers from you guys. I also know that there are also real problems that can happened like getting a used key, or a stolen key which will deactivate after awhile but i am not too worried about thoses

It's just a series of letters and numbers, not sure what you mean by it having malware attached? As for your other concerns, gray area keys carry a gray area risk...

1 minute ago, Legendarypoet said:

It's just a series of letters and numbers, not sure what you mean by it having malware attached? As for your other concerns, gray area keys carry a gray area risk...

Ok thanks. I sometimes just get things that makes me worried about things that might not even exist.

Also what are grey area keys and what are the risk they carry

6 minutes ago, GrandMushroom5 said:

I am building a new system this christmas and like most other people(i presume) i would like to install windows on it. I am looking to buy a cheap product key from a seller on ebay, but the thing is i am worried that is there a possibility that the key could have a root kit or malware or something attach the key that will infect my computer once i finished installing it. I really feel like i am just over thinking it and i shouldn’t be worrying about it but i want to know the answers from you guys. I also know that there are also real problems that can happened like getting a used key, or a stolen key which will deactivate after awhile but i am not too worried about thoses

I might be able to help you out with this! I sent you a message.

The key works or doesn't work. As long as the install files you use are from MS directly (use the install media creation tool) it should be fine. Make sure to install the same version as the key.

I've got the dirt cheap keys from ebay. Ones from sellers with big feedback were fine, and the systems remain activated to date. One from a small seller seemed to be whatever they googgled off the internet, didn't work, so that was a waste of time even if they refunded me.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 12/12/2017 at 4:38 PM, GrandMushroom5 said:

Also what are grey area keys and what are the risk they carry

Keys which are sold well under MSRP are called grey area keys. Because sellers get them ways which are conflicting or against Microsoft's ToS. Like buying volume keys, bigger bundles and likes which are aimed for business and organizations. Or by removing OEM keys from used pre-builds and laptops. Or just buying OEM keys meant for system builders (these cost most of grey market ones).

Risks are same as with all too-cheap-to-be-true stuff. Key might not work to begin with, key might get black listed later, seller is pure fake, seller is scammer and so on. But biggest risk is dent in your morality. In the end you are supporting thing close to piracy.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv