RAM issues on RYZEN 7

Hey guys this is driving me up the wall.

This is my build below.

My build keeps for no reason or warning just black screening and restarting, or blue screening with a Memory error.

Can happen at any time. I've tried to find some common denominator to what triggers but nothing stands out.

I've fresh installed Windows 10 .

Reseated the RAM and Video card and the same for the Processor.

I've run it with just one RAM stick and its still keeps happening.

I've tried monitoring stats using HWMonitor to see if there's any overheating but the CPU idles at 35°C under load (Video and Photo Editing and the odd Game) it has never gone over 60°C.

Same for the Video Card.

Everything else seems fine with wattage distribution and voltages etc.

Any assistance or recommendations of what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Oh BIOS and drivers are all up to date.

I even have taken my RAM back to the store and they ran a few Mem tests on it and said the RAM is fine, and should definitely be compatible with my board.

Build Specs:

CPU  :  AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler:  NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard:  Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory : Corsair - Vengeance RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 760 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card

Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

5 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

maybe the vram has gone bad?

Thanks for the quick reply

How would I test it if that is the case?

5 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Its a bit hard to do without simply using the system with a different graphics card.

Hmm gonna have to ask some mates if they have a spare one to lend me

This happens a lot with my 1800x and premiere rendering over 20-30 mins. When I'm doing long rendering, I lower my ram speed down a bit. It doesn't hurt the render time at all (tested a few short and long files at 2400mhz and 3333mhz both at c16) and render times were close enough over multiple runes to call it margin of error. 

If I run my system at 4.2ghz with 3333ram at c12, I can do just about everything except render Or cinebench. Gotta drop that ram to 2400 c16 to render though.

I can render if I up my CPUsoc voltage by more than I'd like, but since times don't matter, I clock down my ram.

28 minutes ago, Evanair said:

This happens a lot with my 1800x and premiere rendering over 20-30 mins. When I'm doing long rendering, I lower my ram speed down a bit. It doesn't hurt the render time at all (tested a few short and long files at 2400mhz and 3333mhz both at c16) and render times were close enough over multiple runes to call it margin of error. 

If I run my system at 4.2ghz with 3333ram at c12, I can do just about everything except render Or cinebench. Gotta drop that ram to 2400 c16 to render though.

I can render if I up my CPUsoc voltage by more than I'd like, but since times don't matter, I clock down my ram.

I'll give that a go thanks

32 minutes ago, GhostOfPersia said:

I'll give that a go thanks

So gave it a go, cant even POST at anything above 2133 Mhz on my RAM let alone play with the timings.

Did you up ram voltage first? If you can't get above default DDR4 settings, you might have a hardware issue.

Was your kit 4x sticks or 2 sets of 2x for ram?  More sticks means it's harder to hit target speeds.

Try setting voltage to 1.35v first (if your system has a boot voltage, make sure to set that too). And reset. Load your profile and see if it works then... it might not.

When my rig loses its ram settings, it trains itself to c13 speeds. I have to loosen these timings (followed by a reset) before I can adjust the ram speed up.

So yeah... if profile doesn't work after voltage,  loosen your timings first.

12 hours ago, GhostOfPersia said:

Reseated the RAM and Video card and the same for the Processor.

I've run it with just one RAM stick and its still keeps happening.

So you're populating all four board slots? I don't trust any store to properly test memory. Look at your board's manual on the proper procedure to reset your CMOS. Change nothing and download Memtest86 to a usb flash drive and boot from the usb. Choose the option to select which tests to run and unselect all tests except #6. Set the number of passes to 10. Locate the option to "run tests with all cores parallel" or worded similarly. Then begin the test. 10 passes of test #6 should take no more than 20-30 minutes. If your memory has problems, this custom test will cause errors to be displayed. Even one error is unacceptable.

If it completes all 10 passes without errors, then your memory is most likely not the problem. Ryzen does not like four sticks of memory at the same time. It may work, but may never go beyond 2133 without some manual tweaking.

If that custom memtest completes without errors, you can try to increase frequency to 2400, but you'll need to increase DRAM Voltage to 1.35 (or higher, no more than 1.40v). You'll also need to increase VDDCR SOC Voltage to 1.1v (no higher than 1.2v). SOC Voltage is important for maintaining stability with memory overclocks. If successful, try running that same memtest again.

Do try another GPU as well, just to eliminate that as a possible cause. You can also try using just two sticks of ram in the grey slots (A2/B2). You may find you can clock them higher when only using two.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

• 4 weeks later...

Update for everyone, Swapped RAM with my mate thats running a 1800X he had no problem with it, while I used his HyperX ones, still had issues. Ran your tests too @johndms RAM was fine.

Pulled out my old PSU and used that and still had issues.

Lend a mates GPU and stress tested etc. still ran into issues.

I'm left with it being either the MOBO or CPU at fault now.

This is even worse than the time I gave a Hackintosh build a go back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this a few times on a couple of the Asus B350 Boards using 2 sets of memory, one of the boards hated the Corsair LPX 3000 memory yet the Asrock Motherboard Runs beautiful with the same ram in the 1800x.  yet the 1700 bump the clocks up and it starts getting a little finicky even at 3.8 after dialing it back to about 3.6-3.7 it seems pretty stable. my brother uses his for playing wow but when he does music editing composition work its had a couple of crashes from some buggy vst instruments however it was enough for me to dial the clock back from 3.8 to 3.6 and now it has next to no issues at all surprisingly i have heard no more complaints. the memory in this system is ryzen memory running 2400 so it should be fine some boards seem to be more finicky than others.

I am guessing you are running yours at stock so I cant see why its having so many dramas. does sound like your system hates the memory you may want to leave this memory at stock which is 2133 till you can find out the issue. check your motherboards QVL for the memory you have sounds like the problem.