Expanding the H220 in 2017?

AT0MAC

I have one of the still alive and well Swiftech H220 AIO's, not the X model, the original one.

I actually only bought it not so long ago as a clearance sale, completely new, so its been in use under 2 years by now.

I want to expand it, in the beginning with a extra 120mm radiator, because I already have the space in my build and a radiator unused (was cleaning out some things today and found a rad in my closet).

Im thinking that would make my temps even better, so why not.

Only thing is, what size tubing do this AIO use?

I mean, the fittings it comes with dont look like any standard size, so I wonder what size I should use to expand the loop with and also, what soft tubing should I use?

My Gaming PC: 27833

13 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

I have one of the still alive and well Swiftech H220 AIO's, not the X model, the original one.

I actually only bought it not so long ago as a clearance sale, completely new, so its been in use under 2 years by now.

I want to expand it, in the beginning with a extra 120mm radiator, because I already have the space in my build and a radiator unused (was cleaning out some things today and found a rad in my closet).

Im thinking that would make my temps even better, so why not.

Only thing is, what size tubing do this AIO use?

I mean, the fittings it comes with dont look like any standard size, so I wonder what size I should use to expand the loop with and also, what soft tubing should I use?

The AIO unit requires 3/8"ID 5/8"OD tubing, just not that your extra 120mm rad must be copper based you don't want to have a mixed metal loop using an aluminum rad. 

http://www.swiftech.com/MCR-H220-RADIATOR.aspx

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

The AIO unit requires 3/8"ID 5/8"OD tubing, just not that your extra 120mm rad must be copper based you don't want to have a mixed metal loop using an aluminum rad. 

http://www.swiftech.com/MCR-H220-RADIATOR.aspx

I might have found out by watching this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fpum4J6C2k

He mentions to use 3/8 by 5/8 fittings in the other end, thats 10/16mm as far as I know?

So if the original tubing is also that, then this should be pretty easy to do so.

Hmm the extra rad I have is from a Alphacool Eisberg 120

esiberg_120_banner.jpg

By looking inside the barbs it looks very much like copper to me

1 minute ago, AT0MAC said:

I might have found out by watching this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fpum4J6C2k

He mentions to use 3/8 by 5/8 fittings in the other end, thats 10/16mm as far as I know?

So if the original tubing is also that, then this should be pretty easy to do so.

Yes the rad from that unit is copper so it won't be an issue integrating it into that loop, and 3/8''ID 5/8''OD tubing is ~(10/16mm) so it'll be alright. 

Make sure that rad is copper

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

esiberg_120_banner.jpg

Interested in selling that CPU block? :P

If the tubing on the H220 fits 10/16 fittings, then all I would need is 2 fittings and new liquid to refill the loop with. Thats pretty sweet!

As Linus also pointed out in his review, the tubing is plenty so maybe I dont even need extra tubing.

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Interested in selling that CPU block? :P

I already did, the original Eisberg is pretty bad, the new Eisbaer should be slightly different but much better

If the tubing on the H220 fits 10/16 fittings, then all I would need is 2 fittings and new liquid to refill the loop with. Thats pretty sweet!

As Linus also pointed out in his review, the tubing is plenty so maybe I dont even need extra tubing.

As the tubing is a few years old now I would recommend to change it to some new stuff, if your looking for low maintenance, look at getting EDPM tubing a nice matte black look. For clear or colored tubing Primochill's LRT is alright, a good one is Mayhem's Ultra clear.  

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-tube-zmt-matte-black-15-9-9-5mm

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

As the tubing is a few years old now I would recommend to change it to some new stuff, if your looking for low maintenance, look at getting EDPM tubing a nice matte black look. For clear or colored tubing Primochill's LRT is alright, a good one is Mayhem's Ultra clear.  

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-tube-zmt-matte-black-15-9-9-5mm

You are probably right. Its not every day I disassemble my water cooling loop, so why not do it right.

Now when we have the thread rolling, I am wondering if I one day can add a Alphacool Eiswolf GPX into the setup?

Its a GPU block with build in pump and kind of the only GPU block design that fits my massive 1070 AMP Extreme Zotac card.

You are probably right. Its not every day I disassemble my water cooling loop, so why not do it right.

Now when we have the thread rolling, I am wondering if I one day can add a Alphacool Eiswolf GPX into the setup?

Its a GPU block with build in pump and kind of the only GPU block design that fits my massive 1070 AMP Extreme Zotac card.

I would suggest to just get a block that is compatible with your GPU without a pump, the swiftech pump is enough for expanding the loop. Only downside that has been with that pump is longevity where some users had it die early on, while you can use different pump you want to make sure their flow and pressure are approx the same. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

I would suggest to just get a block that is compatible with your GPU without a pump, the swiftech pump is enough for expanding the loop. Only downside that has been with that pump is longevity where some users had it die early on, while you can use different pump you want to make sure their flow and pressure are approx the same. 

Ok so this version would be the one to look for, until I one day go all the way and buy an actual cpu block + res/pump.

Well my pump seem to still be working just fine, fingers crossed.

14 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

Ok so this version would be the one to look for, until I one day go all the way and buy an actual cpu block + res/pump.

Well my pump seem to still be working just fine, fingers crossed.

Looks good if I recall correctly that block is really low restriction so it's perfect for your loop

Now when im in a few days time disassembling my loop, how should I clean it?

Also, the extra Alphacool rad I have have been laying in a cardboard box for a year or two now since last use, do that make a difference, should i specially think of that in the cleaning?

Im thinking of getting either one of these two.

No doubt I mainly like the EKWB, because its cheapest and simplest.

But the alphacool setup have some benefits, like temp reading of the water when it exits the last rad, it has an actual cleaning agent if its needed and I get some extras (christmas card and mug, plus the usual candy they put in their boxes)

elZvA0.jpg

NrVvbS.jpg

28 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

Im thinking of getting either one of these two.

No doubt I mainly like the EKWB, because its cheapest and simplest.

But the alphacool setup have some benefits, like temp reading of the water when it exits the last rad, it has an actual cleaning agent if its needed and I get some extras (christmas card and mug, plus the usual candy they put in their boxes)

Both look alright it's mainly up to you what you want in the loop as for cleaning the rads, you can use a vingear solution to clean them. Just be sure to give it a baking soda wash to neutralize any acid and to heavily rinse it out after before use. 

If your going with a colored fluid I would suggest to get clear tubing since you can see it. 

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

Both look alright it's mainly up to you what you want in the loop as for cleaning the rads, you can use a vingear solution to clean them. Just be sure to give it a baking soda wash to neutralize any acid and to heavily rinse it out after before use. 

If your going with a colored fluid I would suggest to get clear tubing since you can see it. 

well the only reason for getting colored fluid in my case is because its easier to see if it leaks.

actually now when i look closer, there is a special promotion on green tubes at ek, so the cheapest option would be this

hyHCMJ.jpg

thanks for all the help, i will look up how to cheaply clean rads and systems, as ek dont sell any special products for that.

11 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

well the only reason for getting colored fluid in my case is because its easier to see if it leaks.

actually now when i look closer, there is a special promotion on green tubes at ek, so the cheapest option would be this

thanks for all the help, i will look up how to cheaply clean rads and systems, as ek dont sell any special products for that.

Personally I'd stick with clear fluid as it doesn't tend to stain as readily, as you already have green tubing and no res that would stand out if you have clear fluid. It's up to you but that looks good to me. 

The new corner stones of my gaming PC have now arrived, still need to figure out what to do with the cooling but at least im off to a pretty good start I think