What are good VRM temps for longevity?

T_Dawg

Hi everyone, first post on the LTT foums

I just recently finished my second PC build ever with a Ryzen 1600X on a MSI B350 Tomahawk mobo. As I'm writing this I'm stress testing an overclock @4.0GHz, 1.35V in Prime95 and my motherboard temps are in the 90s. Overclocking is something pretty new to me but I'm pretty sure those aren't very good temperatures.

I'm using the NZXT H440 case as well as the corsair H100i v2 AIO cooler. Front mounted rad on the bottom two fans and one of the included fnv2 fans for the 3rd front mounted fan, one 140mm rear exhaust and two 120mm top exhausts.

What are  the highest safe/good VRM temps for longevity while running Prime95 blend test, whats the max you'd be comfortable with? Thanks.

This is between "OK" and "burn your house down".

Capacitors are 105°C, so as long as you stay under that, it should be fine.

I'd buy a small 80/60mm fan and put it on the VRM "heatsink", so you have some cooling.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

8 minutes ago, T_Dawg said:

motherboard temps are in the 90s

Please stop

Also what are you reading the temps with?

Just shove a fan over the VRM and you should be fine.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Please stop

Also what are you reading the temps with?

Just shove a fan over the VRM and you should be fine.

Monitoring with CPUID Hardware Monitor

1 minute ago, T_Dawg said:

Monitoring with CPUID Hardware Monitor

Laser Temp Gun would be nice, not sure how accurate a cheap motherboard's temp readings are

if you touch your VRM after a few benchmark runs is it pretty hot to the touch?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Laser Temp Gun would be nice, not sure how accurate a cheap motherboard's temp readings are

if you touch your VRM after a few benchmark runs is it pretty hot to the touch?

Yes, the one on the left felt like I briefly dipped my finger in hot coffee. The one on the top is just a little warm, no pain. This was before I stopped Prime95 though.

Yes, the one on the left felt like I briefly dipped my finger in hot coffee. The one on the top is just a little warm, no pain. This was before I stopped Prime95 though.

Just shove a fan over it in any event, especially since they aren't real heatsinks like this board, or even the ASrock Pro 4

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just shove a fan over it in any event, especially since they aren't real heatsinks like this board, or even the ASrock Pro 4

Okay, thank you! But just to be clear, around what temps do you consider to be unacceptable for general OCing?

Just now, T_Dawg said:

Okay, thank you! But just to be clear, around what temps do you consider to be unacceptable for general OCing?

Until it makes you OC unstable, but you want your temps as low as you can go for longevity of the motherboard always.

Spoiler

Here, GN just answered everything about VRMs 6:04

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Here, GN just answered everything about VRMs 6:04

Gracias

36 minutes ago, T_Dawg said:

How's sub 30c?  (Heavy breathing while using monoblock on a 12 phase intensifies)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 hours ago, T_Dawg said:

Hi everyone, first post on the LTT foums

I just recently finished my second PC build ever with a Ryzen 1600X on a MSI B350 Tomahawk mobo. As I'm writing this I'm stress testing an overclock @4.0GHz, 1.35V in Prime95 and my motherboard temps are in the 90s. Overclocking is something pretty new to me but I'm pretty sure those aren't very good temperatures.

I'm using the NZXT H440 case as well as the corsair H100i v2 AIO cooler. Front mounted rad on the bottom two fans and one of the included fnv2 fans for the 3rd front mounted fan, one 140mm rear exhaust and two 120mm top exhausts.

What are  the highest safe/good VRM temps for longevity while running Prime95 blend test, whats the max you'd be comfortable with? Thanks.

VRM temps below 80C is a good thing i mean you have to worry more about the capacitors temps then the VRM. 

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect a thread, but shoving a fan over the VRMs is the right idea. I had a Ryzen 9 3900x build with a board that didn't really have sufficient VRMs the temps were over 100C was worried how long it would live. But then realized a duct or shroud put over the exhaust fan would force air to flow over the VRMs. I searched on ebay found a plastic VRM cooling duct that worked out well lowered the temps to below 80C.