Is it normal this took 9 hours on rendering?

I have a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU not overclocked. I opened up after effects, made a music visualizer, simple but rather so full of effects and stuff.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15Pd_ZQz_Nr6yuCaa1pK-aV7FVXttoZ2n  

You can see the project yourself and judge, actually please do. It took 9 and half hours in Adobe Media Encoder to render. What!? Like I was expecting 3 or 4 hours but 9? So there was something going wrong seem to me nad I want you guys to help me. I used a H.264 and 1080p60fps preset. And my CPU usage during rendering looks like image under. Adobe ME was saying expected time to be 5 hours and I was like huh okay. CPU usage was tagged at ~99% but 3 or something hours later when I opened up task manager again the CPU usage was fluctuating... Help plz.

image.png

What were your CPU temps during the rendering? What was the average, and what was the highest spike?

Could be thermally throttling. For example, your GPU is only running at around 3 GHz at the moment of that screenshot (I believe it should boost up to 4 GHz assuming no thermal problems).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The music visualizer effect can vary in computational intensity greatly depending on the settings used

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Render is already done so I can't know what the temps were. But I can assure it wasn't thermal throttling tho. When I open up some games during the render CPU could and did pinned to 100% usage with no problem. Although I selected GPU accelerated CUDA rendering, GPU usage was 1% throughout the render process. I don't know if it was a program based problem or some kind of a bottleneck, but when I need to render a similiar kind of project again, what you guys reccomend me to do? What should I configure and change? Overclock the CPU maybe? Export at AVI format? Any reply will help. Thanks again :)

5 minutes ago, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

Render is already done so I can't know what the temps were. But I can assure it wasn't thermal throttling tho. When I open up some games during the render CPU could and did pinned to 100% usage with no problem. Although I selected GPU accelerated CUDA rendering, GPU usage was 1% throughout the render process. I don't know if it was a program based problem or some kind of a bottleneck, but when I need to render a similiar kind of project again, what you guys reccomend me to do? What should I configure and change? Overclock the CPU maybe? Export at AVI format? Any reply will help. Thanks again :)

If you selected CUDA rendering, and your GPU usage was at 1%, clearly something isn't working correctly on your system.

Also, how can you possibly rule out thermal throttling without knowing the temperatures?

In the very screenshot you posted, your CPU is pegged at 3.15 GHz. The Turbo frequency of the Ryzen 7 1700 is 3.7 GHz (without OCing).

Now, if you're not hitting 3.7 GHz, temperature is almost certainly the cause.

What Heatsink/cooling are you using?

I would recommend re-starting the render, and record temps for at least 30 minutes (I'd go an hour to be safe) and see how bad the temps get. No need to finish the render though - you just want to see how much it stresses the CPU.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

If you selected CUDA rendering, and your GPU usage was at 1%, clearly something isn't working correctly on your system.

Also, how can you possibly rule out thermal throttling without knowing the temperatures?

In the very screenshot you posted, your CPU is pegged at 3.15 GHz. The Turbo frequency of the Ryzen 7 1700 is 3.7 GHz (without OCing).

Now, if you're not hitting 3.7 GHz, temperature is almost certainly the cause.

What Heatsink/cooling are you using?

I would recommend re-starting the render, and record temps for at least 30 minutes (I'd go an hour to be safe) and see how bad the temps get. No need to finish the render though - you just want to see how much it stresses the CPU.

The "boost" frequency is only achieved when CPU is at a veery low temputure, 

"The 1700’s 65W TDP stands out as its most notable differentiator compared to the higher-end 95W Ryzen 7s. A more conservative power rating means lower voltages (and heat), so its 3 GHz base and 3.7 GHz boost frequencies understandably trail the 1700X and 1800X as well.

Both X SKUs do benefit from AMD's XFR (eXtended Frequency Range) technology, which provides an additional 100 MHz over the boost ceiling if your thermal solution is beefy enough. In contrast, the 1700 comes equipped with a reduced XFR feature set that doesn’t boost beyond 3.7 GHz, though it does facilitate an all-core 3.1 GHz boost in threaded workloads"

Got this from Tom's Hardware btw. When I keep the CPU in constant stress, it will never reach or even try to reach 3.7GHz. But I am wondering why it keept dropping to 20-30% usage during something as heavy as rendering. I'm using the stock wraith cooler that come with the box. I will render a similiar project tomorrow, I'll record the temputures this time tho. I'll reply when its done. Though I still don't think it's a thermal issue. Rendering is mostly a CPU bounded process so I didn't expect the GPU to get used like 100% but didn't expect 0% usage eighter. I had used GPU-Z to look GPU status btw. Thanks for the help, I'll be happy if you come up with a reply still though.