New RX 580 not booting

TheoR

I recall having this issue with both my AMD and nVidia GPU, but I was only able to boot after removing all but one of my RAM sticks. At first, I thought the issue was with my AMD card, so I swapped it with my GTX 1080 and still had that issue. That eliminated the GPU being at fault, then I unplugged the power cable to all my HDD's except my SSD (OS), still no go.

Then I removed all but one of my RAM stick and hey Presto! It booted to desktop without issue. Obviously I powered off and slowly added another RAM stick (one at a time), turned out one of my RAM slots was faulty, but I have only 4GB sticks, which meant I can only do 2x 4GB in DC mode, went and bought a pair of 8GB sticks and all is good.

Another problem that can cause failure to boot is a failing or bad HDD, learnt that the hard way when I fail to boot to OS. After following the trouble shooting steps I'd mentioned above, turned out one of my HDD's was bad or failing.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue with mine. But mine will randomly start working if I just keep unplugging and replugging RAM and trying to boot.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I have recently had a number of systems through my workshop with the same GPU and issue here, most of these systems though are a few years old, power supplies have never been the solution, RAM timings have solved 2 of them they were both AMD3+ based systems with fully populated RAM slots 4X4GB. BUT, 8 of these cards showed the blue light at the PCI-E plug showing they were getting the extra 12V but you get a 1 long and 4 short beeps (Gigabyte BIOS), With a second card in any slot the system will boot using the 2nd as primary, The RX580 though is not recognised (does not even initialise, incl NO fan spin) and no monitoring software reports it present in the system (HWMonitor, GPU-Z, Device Manager), the card is dead, But in a twist, if the system is left running then the fans will blip every so often as if it was trying to start. All but 1 of the cards was about 2 years old (in use time), the other was BRAND NEW but I suspect the prob with that one was installation error or transit damage as the back plate was squashed to the board and shorting several pins and the PCI-E plug (still had the blue light though) this one is the only no-fix as I suspect the die was shorted and when I saw the damage I just knew the time wasn't worth chasing the blown parts,

Now the rest, they all had a blown 3.3V buck converter and fuse, various PSU's were in the systems, Corsair, MSI, Great Wall, EVGA and even a Dell Optiplex system, I keep a good RX580 for testing and all these systems ran fine with mine so PSU was not the cause.. (even the Dell 350W with its P4 CPU), This it when I found out there was a batch of dodgy transistors which XFX have managed to use (tracing batch codes) replacing these with a known good batch and obviously replacing the SMD fuse brought all the cards back to life, sdaly I don't make videos but this guy on youtube has found the same issue and has created a video linked below and I hope this long winded reply aids someone.