RAM Post Issue?

gekco

My ram finally came in from Amazon so I have my PC finally assembled and put together. Last night, I installed windows and from all the reboots it would post just fine. Today however I have been having issues with my PC during the post process. 

My ram is Corsair 8GB x2 2666MHz (Part Number CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, which is on the MB QVL) the MB I have is the Asus Strix B350, CPU is the Ryzen 5 1600. At first I noticed the system automatically set the RAM to 2133MHz and upon further research I found out that ASUS MBs like to do this by default. I went into the BIOS and used DOCP mode, which I think that is AMD's equivalent to XMP, and when I tried doing that my PC would never get past post and would boot into safe mode after about 3 tries. Once I put the ram setting back to auto the PC posted just fine and the BIOS set the ram back to 2133MHz. I then updated my BIOS from 0809 to 3401 and then tried to use the DOCP mode yet again. After that my PC has been posting......... well.... kind of. Below is a video of my issue, sometimes the PC will post just fine, and other times it will fail 2-3 times and then post just fine. I've already been playing games just fine, I've experienced no crashing, PC doesn't randomly shut off. My only issue is this post problem i'm having. Hopefully someone has an idea, my guess is that my MB just doesn't like running my ram at 2666MHz :( 

Other info:

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Storage: WD 2TB Black

GPU: Asus Strix 1060 6GB OC

PS: I also for the life of me cannot figure out how to read these Q-LEDs... I've been looking though my manual and I can't find and information on them. Since the Orange LED is the last one on before the system shuts off I assume that would be the issue? 

Try with a single stick to start, if that works swap them and make sure they both work one at a time.  If that's the case, it's pretty common for the voltage regulators for the DRAM to struggle the more RAM sticks there are.  Look at what voltage they're supposed to be running and dial it manually instead of relying on DOCP to do it, but boost it a little bit.  For example, with my RAM kit it's supposed to run at 1.65 V, but with all my DIMMs full I have to set it to 1.675 V to run my fastest XMP profile to not have stability issues.  Increase it slowly, by .01 V at a time until things seem to stabilize.  Memtest86+ or AIDA64 are good tools to check for stability afterward.

If you don't get past the first step, well I would maybe contact the mobo vendor to see if they can help you, especially since it's on the QVL.

I had a very similar problem on  a ryzen 1700. If I am correct I believe that this is the memory that you purchased. It does not appear to be ryzen compatible. If you want to ensure stability and ensure that your memory will operate as advertised I would recommend refunding your current memory and purchasing this memory that is ryzen compatible. 

So far it seems to be stable in DOCP mode with a manual clock speed set to 2400MHz.