H100I v2 8700k cooling issue?

I am hitting 80c spike on a non overclocked 8700k but it hovers around 60c. i'm stress testing it on prime 95. i'm not sure if spike temps are an issue or if i should be looking at temps its usually runs at. Also it overclocks to 5ghz but with 1.37v it stays around 75c  but spikes to 98c randomly. could my cooler be faulty? or did i maybe install it wrong?. Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Matt MacDonald said:

I am hitting 80c spike on a non overclocked 8700k but it hovers around 60c. i'm stress testing it on prime 95. i'm not sure if spike temps are an issue or if i should be looking at temps its usually runs at. Also it overclocks to 5ghz but with 1.37v it stays around 75c  but spikes to 98c randomly. could my cooler be faulty? or did i maybe install it wrong?. Thoughts?

Nope, from what I've read that's pretty normal for this hot chip unless you delid it.

6 minutes ago, Matt MacDonald said:

I would suggest checking fans... make sure theyre spinning, and are at the right speed. If theyre fine, check your pump. check to make sure its on and all that. if the punmps fine then after check your thermal paste if the fans are fine.  

60C for a 8700k is nothing tho

Could you take a photo of your case for us to see air flow?

What way exactly did you stress it on Prime95? there is a lot of ways to stress a CPU in there

There isn't much reason to overclock the i7 8700k if you're a gamer above all things.

Did you use the include thermal paste?

And is the CPU delid?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Could you take a photo of your case for us to see air flow?

What way exactly did you stress it on Prime95? there is a lot of ways to stress a CPU in there

There isn't much reason to overclock the i7 8700k if you're a gamer above all things.

Did you use the include thermal paste?

And is the CPU delid?

I didn't delid it, i might do that. I just used the thermal paste that came with the h100I v2. And i used the blend test on prime 95. hopefully the pics are useful

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

Picture 4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Reseat the Cooler, I have my 8700K and H100i v2 running 65c max 4,700Mhz with XMP on an ASUS 370H. Ive also tried the 29%, 35% and 5GHz setting non of which hit 80c after 5 minutes of CPUz's - stress test. Temps are taken with Real Temp. I would actually say despite silicone lottery the temps scale with percent linearly at max temp on preset motherboard overclocks. It may take a few times to reseat the cooler . the reason I mention it as a solution is your water block corsair logo is not displaying heat - blue corsair means your block isn't hot but your but cpu is. A water block will take awhile to make  temps but guaranteed at 98c it wont be blue or its not transferring the heat.