what is it?

Blu82b

Hey Peoples! I have an old gtx 780 from Zotac from a Friend (for free) and i just saw that there is something broken off (see picture)

Can someone tell me what this is and will it harm my PC if i put it in?

He gave it to me instead of throwing it away, i wanted to use it for mining.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

20171207_193328.jpg

Take a more steady clear picture, it looks fine to me but might be the quality of your picture.

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

But no it wont harm your pc if you put it in. The most that will happen is that it wont work.

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

41 minutes ago, Blu82b said:

Hey Peoples! I have an old gtx 780 from Zotac from a Friend (for free) and i just saw that there is something broken off (see picture)

Can someone tell me what this is and will it harm my PC if i put it in?

He gave it to me instead of throwing it away, i wanted to use it for mining.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

20171207_193328.jpg

those are resistors
I doubt it will work without them

grab a soldering iron m8.  it may be fine, but I woudn't trust it.

Edit: My mistake, those are surface mount capacitors.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

It may work without that capacitor. That's all I'm going to say.

This guy had a Pentium D chip from Ebay that had a capacitor broken off. Still works. So it's possible it may work without issues, 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

those are resistors
I doubt it will work without them

grab a soldering iron m8.  it may be fine, but I woudn't trust it.

Ok but even if i could solder it, how do i know which resistor is the right one? Im sure there are hundreds of different resistors.

7 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

those are resistors

No, those are ceramic caps, not resistors.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

well if you want to see if it will blow up just get an old pc with a pci-e slot from like 2006, and throw it in... s a pc that old is worthless anyway. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

well if you want to see if it will blow up just get an old pc with a pci-e slot from like 2006, and throw it in... s a pc that old is worthless anyway. 

I would if i had one 9_9

Just now, Blu82b said:

I would if i had one 9_9

Did your friend give that card to you because it's dead, or what?

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Did your friend give that card to you because it's dead, or what?

He used a 980 since they are released and now he just wanted to tidy up his room and found it. Instead of throwing it away, he handed it over to me, knowing that im a PC geek.

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No, those are ceramic caps, not resistors.

oh shit yeah those are surface mount caps. im lost xD

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

18 minutes ago, Blu82b said:

Ok but even if i could solder it, how do i know which resistor is the right one? Im sure there are hundreds of different resistors.

I made a mistake, they are surface mount capacitors (ceramic)
you could. look at them and try totell ?
or go or try to find schematics.

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

I made a mistake, they are surface mount capacitors (ceramic)
you could. look at them and try totell ?
or go or try to find schematics.

Hop i did not misunderstood you, i mean, if i need to buy a new one to solder it to the Board, how can i find out what kind i need to buy? 

To All: Thanks for your Help so far :x

3 minutes ago, Blu82b said:

Hop i did not misunderstood you, i mean, if i need to buy a new one to solder it to the Board, how can i find out what kind i need to buy? 

To All: Thanks for your Help so far :x

Those caps are on the incoming traces, meaning they're likely just there for stabilization. In all likelihood, if there's nothing else broken on the card it'll work. Might be a little unstable, but I think it's worth a try. If you wanted to properly fix it, you'd have to desolder a pair of adjacent caps, measure their capacitances, then buy similarly-specced ones and solder them down, but I doubt you have the tools to handle SMD-components.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Those caps are on the incoming traces, meaning they're likely just there for stabilization. In all likelihood, if there's nothing else broken on the card it'll work. Might be a little unstable, but I think it's worth a try. If you wanted to properly fix it, you'd have to desolder a pair of adjacent caps, measure their capacitances, then buy similarly-specced ones and solder them down, but I doubt you have the tools to handle SMD-components.

I definitely have no Equipment to handle it :(

Guess i just try if its working, otherwise i put it on my wall of fame ^_^