Intel turbo boost during gaming?

I have an i5 4570, and I've noticed that when I do something somewhat demanding on my cpu, such as play a game, It will stop turbo boosting and run at the stock 3.2 ghz. Is there a problem? Could it be due to my cooling?

11 minutes ago, basedthirst said:

I have an i5 4570, and I've noticed that when I do something somewhat demanding on my cpu, such as play a game, It will stop turbo boosting and run at the stock 3.2 ghz. Is there a problem? Could it be due to my cooling?

Generally turbo boost only applies to 1 or 2 core.

If it's tasks that requires 1-2 core, it will turbo boost to 3.6GHz, else your all 4 core boost will be at 3.4GHz not sure why yours maxed at 3.2GHz though.

CPU/ CPU Cooler: i7-6700K - 4.5GHz with Noctua DH-15S | Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Amp! Edition | Case: Corsair 400C | PSU: FSP Aurum S 650W | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM FHD | Speakers: JBL Pebbles | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It's likely due to insufficient cooling. The CPU will only stay at turbo speeds as long as the processor thinks it can handle the heat.

My system is a dell optiplex 9020 with an upgraded power supply and an rx 470. Everything is stock, including the cooler and thermal paste. Should I try and maybe clean my cooler and use some higher end paste?

10 minutes ago, davyre89 said:

Generally turbo boost only applies to 1 or 2 core.

If it's tasks that requires 1-2 core, it will turbo boost to 3.6GHz, else your all 4 core boost will be at 3.4GHz not sure why yours maxed at 3.2GHz though.

While that may be the default behavior, the motherboard can override this and allow all the cores to turbo to the maximum speed.

Otherwise explain how my i7-6700 can maintain 3.9GHz while all the cores are loaded.

Just now, basedthirst said:

My system is a dell optiplex 9020 with an upgraded power supply and an rx 470. Everything is stock, including the cooler and thermal paste. Should I try and maybe clean my cooler and use some higher end paste?

It wouldn't hurt to clean up the cooler and replace the paste. Worst comes to worse, you can get a decent CPU cooler for cheap.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

While that may be the default behavior, the motherboard can override this and allow all the cores to turbo to the maximum speed.

Otherwise explain how my i7-6700 can maintain 3.9GHz while all the cores are loaded.

It wouldn't hurt to clean up the cooler and replace the paste. Worst comes to worse, you can get a decent CPU cooler for cheap.

Yeah, im thinking it isn't motherboard related, because it DOES turbo to the full 3.6 ghz on single threaded apps. Thanks! Since im a cheap ass, im gonna try expensive thermal paste first ?

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Otherwise explain how my i7-6700 can maintain 3.9GHz while all the cores are loade

Are you using MultiCore Enhancement feature? Maximum speed for 6700 should be 4.0GHz. xD

CPU/ CPU Cooler: i7-6700K - 4.5GHz with Noctua DH-15S | Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Amp! Edition | Case: Corsair 400C | PSU: FSP Aurum S 650W | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM FHD | Speakers: JBL Pebbles | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

3 minutes ago, davyre89 said:

Are you using MultiCore Enhancement feature? Maximum speed for 6700 should be 4.0GHz. xD

Yes and it's set to Auto which was the default setting. Also I have the non-K version. There's no typo there.

But since @basedthirst mentioned they have a Dell, it's likely they don't have this feature.

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes and it's set to Auto which was the default setting. Also I have the non-K version. There's no typo there.

But since @basedthirst mentioned they have a Dell, it's likely they don't have this feature.

Nah guys my computer screams business and spreadsheets ?

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If it's set to Auto, you should be expecting all core boost at 4.0GHz. Actually I'm not really experienced in MCE, would be awesome if someone could step in and help.

Yes, OP motherboard most likely won't have this feature but it should still turbo boost as default like what I mentioned above.