Hosting a VPN?

KhakiHat

What sort of hardware and internet conditions would you have to have for hosting a private VPN server?

depends on what your using it for.....private as in one person? you can do that with a regular computer and internet connection

5 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

What sort of hardware and internet conditions would you have to have for hosting a private VPN server?

I used an old Core 2 Duo with 4GB ram and gigabit Ethernet. I would get 80/5 when connected to the VPN on my 120/7 internet.

You could use a Pi though..

On 12/5/2017 at 4:04 PM, firecrow797 said:

depends on what your using it for.....private as in one person? you can do that with a regular computer and internet connection

Private as in for myself, yes. Could you specify a "regular computer"?

On 12/5/2017 at 4:05 PM, Ryois said:

I used an old Core 2 Duo with 4GB ram and gigabit Ethernet. I would get 80/5 when connected to the VPN on my 120/7 internet.

You could use a Pi though..

Excuse my lack of experience but what do you mean by 80/5 and 120/7? Also I assume using a Pi would offer worse performance but more efficient power usage.

11 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Excuse my lack of experience but what do you mean by 80/5 and 120/7? Also I assume using a Pi would offer worse performance but more efficient power usage.

he gets 80 up 5 down on his vpn through his computer. His home internet is 120 up 7 down

2 hours ago, KhakiHat said:

Also I assume using a Pi would offer worse performance but more efficient power usage.

Yes, the Pi can only do 100mpbs Ethernet so a max link-speed of 100mbps, this will utilize most of my connection but it lack the power of my old PC and the gigabit connection.

2 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

he gets 80 up 5 down on his vpn through his computer. His home internet is 120 up 7 down

Oh, I see.

28 minutes ago, Ryois said:

Yes, the Pi can only do 100mpbs Ethernet so a max link-speed of 100mbps, this will utilize most of my connection but it lack the power of my old PC and the gigabit connection.

Hmm. wouldn't 100mbps be okay in most small use scenarios?

6 hours ago, KhakiHat said:

Hmm. wouldn't 100mbps be okay in most small use scenarios?

yeah, social media and all that is fine... streaming netflix.... not so much....

On 12/6/2017 at 7:58 AM, KhakiHat said:

Most routers can host a VPN - shouldn't need a separate machine for it unless you've got something really basic.

10 hours ago, Ryois said:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Netflix yes, you can stream according to them,

@KhakiHat

25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

Oh.... nevermind lol. Good to know :)

10 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Most routers can host a VPN - shouldn't need a separate machine for it unless you've got something really basic.

WINDSPEED!!! congrats on admin... was off for a year or so.... so much happened lol

14 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:
10 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

WINDSPEED!!! congrats on admin... was off for a year or so.... so much happened lol

I've had it a lot longer than that :P

6 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

I've had it a lot longer than that :P

Ooo.... nvm then haha. I stopped stopping by before Looney retired though

On 12/7/2017 at 6:53 AM, Windspeed36 said:

What be the process of setting up something like that?

2 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

What be the process of setting up something like that?

Honestly just read the manual for your model as each are a little different. Basics are the same though: need either a static IP or dynamic DNS service (e.g. DYNDNS), create user accounts, enable VPN service

On 12/9/2017 at 6:29 AM, Windspeed36 said:

Honestly just read the manual for your model as each are a little different. Basics are the same though: need either a static IP or dynamic DNS service (e.g. DYNDNS), create user accounts, enable VPN service

Will do. Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gregory777 said:

This is a very useful piece of information for me as I'm going to build a website by means od a Wordpress theme from https://www.templatemonster.com/category/real-estate-wordpress-themes/ and I'm looking for infromation about hosting a private VPN server. So, thanks for sharing your experience, I'll check it out!

:)