SD card formatted as raw won't reformat to anything

Suspensa

I have an 64gb sdxc sd card ive had sitting in a laptop for a while and need to try using it. It hasn't worked for as long as I can remember and I don't know how it got messed up. I've tried reformatting it using explorer and all it does is make me wait an hour for it to say windows could not complete the format. I've tried using disk management to format and that doesn't have any effect either. After an attempt to format and it failing it would then disappear from the file viewer and it still shows up in disk management but with no volume. It reappears after restarting the computer. Recovering whatever data is on it isn't important I just need to be able to use it at capacity. Currently it is a raw file system and I need it converted to some usable system. Googling it only leads to websites "how-to"s that are just saying buy our  expensive software or other forums with similar responses. 

(Apologies if this is the wrong place to post)

1 minute ago, Suspensa said:

I have an 64gb sdxc sd card ive had sitting in a laptop for a while and need to try using it. It hasn't worked for as long as I can remember and I don't know how it got messed up. I've tried reformatting it using explorer and all it does is make me wait an hour for it to say windows could not complete the format. I've tried using disk management to format and that doesn't have any effect either. After an attempt to format and it failing it would then disappear from the file viewer and it still shows up in disk management but with no volume. It reappears after restarting the computer. Recovering whatever data is on it isn't important I just need to be able to use it at capacity. Currently it is a raw file system and I need it converted to some usable system. Googling it only leads to websites "how-to"s that are just saying buy our  expensive software or other forums with similar responses. 

(Apologies if this is the wrong place to post)

Are you sure you haven't accidentally slid the write-protection tab on the side of the card on? That would cause writes, including formatting, to fail. If not, one thing you could try is download Ubuntu, make a bootable USB-stick out of it with e.g. Rufus, boot it and then use GParted to format the card.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I think there’s a site for the SD Formatter. It works good for these issues. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

21 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Are you sure you haven't accidentally slid the write-protection tab on the side of the card on? That would cause writes, including formatting, to fail. If not, one thing you could try is download Ubuntu, make a bootable USB-stick out of it with e.g. Rufus, boot it and then use GParted to format the card.

Definitely wasn't write protection tried it both ways to be sure it wasn't write protected. Im downloading ubuntu right now to try that hopefully I can figure that out. 

39 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

If you want format it and be absolutely certain it works, you can use diskpart in windows to do it. But user beware, if you choose the wrong disk in the command line, you will end up erasing one of the drives in your system:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

Based on the guide you linked I can't clean the disk due to a cyclic redundancy error and trying to fix that requires using chkdsk which i cant because I need to format the drive which I cant't and we're back here.

Formatting through diskpart after taking an hour has left me with a "the parameter is incorrect" error. Going to keep searching based on this unless anyone knows any particular reason why a memory device would be this averse to fixing,