Sony a7 or Sony a6300

anonvx

Hi, I currently have a  panasonic g85 for videoography. Its a great camera but sucks for low light photography. I've come down to the Sony a7 and Sony a6300. Any other cameras you suggest i should look at? Max price for camera+lens is $1000. 

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

1 hour ago, anonvx said:

Hi, I currently have a  panasonic g85 for videoography. Its a great camera but sucks for low light photography. I've come down to the Sony a7 and Sony a6300. Any other cameras you suggest i should look at? Max price for camera+lens is $1000. 

A6300. The video features of the a6300 are way better than those offered by the A7. Only reason to go A7 would be to get the FF look and get an more expensive lens as you can find them cheap used. But the low light will be about the same on the two as the A6300 sensor is better. 

The a7 does for example not do 4k, no log profiles and have really slow AF. The viewfinder is worse too. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

No contest here. I've owned an a6300 for just a little while now coming from a Blackmagic Cinema Camera, and the a6300 blew my socks off. Stunning image.

Tech Youtuber, Filmmaker, and Cinematographer.

Def the a6300. I faced the same question a year ago but with the a7ii and for me the a6300 was better. I wanted something to do photos mostly and video part time and found the a6300 holds up better. The a6300 AF is better and it has better time adapting lens then the a7 or a7ii. The kit lens isn’t bad for video since it’s a power zoom and as a upgrade the 18-105 is another good video lens that doesn’t cost much. 

Oh keep in mind you can use your phone with sonys app to do touch focus and as a monitor when in video or doing stills. I’ve seen a lot of others use it since the screen doesn’t flip around to film them self’s and see the framing of the shot.

10 hours ago, thekillergazebo said:

Oh keep in mind you can use your phone with sonys app to do touch focus and as a monitor when in video or doing stills. I’ve seen a lot of others use it since the screen doesn’t flip around to film them self’s and see the framing of the shot.

Thanks, i already use the panasonic app with my g85. 

Victor F. 

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

Has the overheating issue been fixed on the Sony a6300? I have been interested in getting a new camera to shoot 4K video, and the Panasonic G7, G85, and Sony a6300 all have my interest. The Sony supposedly has the better AF, but the overheating issue is concerning.

2 hours ago, Crosseyed Sniper said:

Has the overheating issue been fixed on the Sony a6300? I have been interested in getting a new camera to shoot 4K video, and the Panasonic G7, G85, and Sony a6300 all have my interest. The Sony supposedly has the better AF, but the overheating issue is concerning.

They say it’s fixed. I know on mine I don’t have an issue but I’m not shooting a lot of video. I’m also in Florida and have shot video in the sun without a problem. They also have an override which just tells you it’s hot and won’t shut it down. Funny thing with video I’ve never had an issue but when I was shooting stills of birds doing burst in the Everglades I got the over heating thing. It didn’t do anything but just say it’s hot and didn’t change performance. 

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:45 PM, Crosseyed Sniper said:

I have the Panasonic G85 and its great for video. Yeah the af kind of sucks. But its nice to have a larger body and have flip out screen. I only wish I could power it via 5v usb. 

Victor F.