Upgrade from i5-6400 to i7-7700K won't work.

IllegalLoli
Go to solution Solved by IllegalLoli,

I would like to thank @MkaiL and @NelizMastr for their help.

I'm now successfully running the i7 and so far no problems.

Thank you for the super fast help, and if I ever run into computer issues again i'll be sure to ask the forums again.

Updating BIOS is scary but it was what was needed, once again thank you all for the help.

Hello.

I've recently bought a Intel core i7-7700k to upgrade from my current Intel core i5-6400 CPU.

But when the i7 is put into the computer the computer won't boot, the following happens : Case fans spin, CPU Fan spins for a short time then stops, and after thirty seconds or so the computer shuts down and boots again. The second boot the CPU Fan sometimes keeps spinning until it shuts down again. But when I put the i5 in again the computer boots fine without any issues.

I'm not too educated on the topic but willing to learn, if I miss something in the post please let me know.

I can also provide pictures if needed.

System :

BIOS : American Megatrends INC. F2, 21-10-2015

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P

CPU : Current : Intel Core i5-6400 - Looking to upgrade it to the Intel core i7-7700k

Cooling : Noctua DH15

GPU : GTX 970

Ram : Crucial - 2x 4GB DDR4 

Power Supply : Corsair CS Serieus CS750M

Memory : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB

Just now, MkaiL said:

You'll need to update the motherboard bios for it to work with kabylake processors

Hi, thanks for the super quick reply.

Do you maybe have a guide for this for my type of motherboard?

I've looked on how to update my BIOS but *for me* it's difficult to find the right one.

2 minutes ago, IllegalLoli said:

Hello.

I've recently bought a Intel core i7-7700k to upgrade from my current Intel core i5-6400 CPU.

But when the i7 is put into the computer the computer won't boot, the following happens : Case fans spin, CPU Fan spins for a short time then stops, and after thirty seconds or so the computer shuts down and boots again. The second boot the CPU Fan sometimes keeps spinning until it shuts down again. But when I put the i5 in again the computer boots fine without any issues.

I'm not too educated on the topic but willing to learn, if I miss something in the post please let me know.

I can also provide pictures if needed.

System :

BIOS : American Megatrends INC. F2, 21-10-2015

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P

CPU : Current : Intel Core i5-6400 - Looking to upgrade it to the Intel core i7-7700k

Cooling : Noctua DH15

GPU : GTX 970

Ram : Crucial - 2x 4GB DDR4 

Power Supply : Corsair CS Serieus CS750M

Memory : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB

Did you update the BIOS? 100 series MOBOs need an update in order to be compatible with a Kaby Lake processor. Also, I'd suggest getting a Z270/Z170 mobo to pair with that 7700k so you can actually OC

Your BIOS is from 2015, no surprise it won't accept Kaby Lake chips from early 2017.

Download this file:  http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-b150-hd3p_f24a.zip

Unzip the f24a file to the root of a flash drive that's formatted as FAT32 and run the flash utility in your BIOS/UEFI to update.

Of course, you need the i5-6400 in there to do this.

Alternatively, this utility might be able to flash for you, I don't have any personal experience with it.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_atbios_100series.zip

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I would like to thank @MkaiL and @NelizMastr for their help.

I'm now successfully running the i7 and so far no problems.

Thank you for the super fast help, and if I ever run into computer issues again i'll be sure to ask the forums again.

Updating BIOS is scary but it was what was needed, once again thank you all for the help.