Newbie in Server/Raid storage.

sze_nian

I would like to know

1. does maintaining a Raid home server is hard?

2. besides that, can i do like this? when starting, i put in something like 5~6 drives. after time i want to put in 2 more drives, can i do so directly without wiping off my previous data?

3. N i guess that i cannot change raid array after i got it setted n put data onto the 1st raid array. correct?

My 2013 First Build
Processor : Intel i7 3930K | Motherboard : Asus Rampage IV GENE | RAM : 2x Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB Kit (Mix color black and red) | Graphics : Asus GTX 680 Direct CU II OC | SSD : Intel 520 Series 120GB | Cooler : Corsair H100i | PSU : Corsair AX760 | Chassis : Corsair Obsidian 650D | Mouse : Razer Mamba 4G Edition | Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013

1. NAS implementations should mostly be set-and-forget, and if set up correctly should need minimal maintenance other than when hardware failures occur.

2. A lot of raid cards do allow you to expand the array, but if you're looking toward raid mostly for redundancy and not performance, then you should consider running software raid instead. software raid is generally more flexible, especially flexraid.

3. What do you mean by changing the array?

1. NAS implementations should mostly be set-and-forget, and if set up correctly should need minimal maintenance other than when hardware failures occur.

2. A lot of raid cards do allow you to expand the array, but if you're looking toward raid mostly for redundancy and not performance, then you should consider running software raid instead. software raid is generally more flexible, especially flexraid.

3. Changing array like... example now im running in raid 5 mode, then after months i felt that i would like to upgrade it to raid 6 or 50/60 (same raid card or etc). is it possible?

My 2013 First Build
Processor : Intel i7 3930K | Motherboard : Asus Rampage IV GENE | RAM : 2x Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB Kit (Mix color black and red) | Graphics : Asus GTX 680 Direct CU II OC | SSD : Intel 520 Series 120GB | Cooler : Corsair H100i | PSU : Corsair AX760 | Chassis : Corsair Obsidian 650D | Mouse : Razer Mamba 4G Edition | Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013

There are quite a few raid cards that will alow you to do this. I know that the popular adaptec 5 series for instance allows changing between raid levels dynamically

Thanks. Will try to learn more about raid thingy.

My 2013 First Build