Color restrictions

Go to solution Solved by vanished,
17 minutes ago, fpo said:

Copy/pasted content is sometimes the color of the background.

I was suggesting that the forum automatically scan the post to find color codes that are similar/exact color as the background for night/day themes, and automatically change the colors to a different color.

Ah, that is infinitely more clear.  I would like that feature too but I believe last time it was suggested, it was said that it's beyond the technical abilities of what can be done at the moment.

Restrict colors?   

5 members have voted

1. 1. Automatically change day/night background colored text to a different color?

• Yes
    • No

I believe everyone would say yes if people couldn’t have text in the color fonts of day backgrounds and the color of night backgrounds so that way people can ALWAYS read the text. 

For instance if it is one of those colors, it could default to blue, or purple. (As examples) 

It seems like a very fringe scenario to me, I rarely feel the need to use different colors in my posts and copy/paste problems can be easily fixed by the user by pasting without formatting. I believe a heavy use of colors is also discouraged in the Community Standards as it is distracting and can get in the way of reading, as you can see. Generally speaking, just avoid using colors for more than a couple of words at a time - it simply isn't needed.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't understand what you're asking

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If you are seeing posts with colours regularly, that is a bug. Text used to be coloured black when pasted under certain circumstances, but that should no longer be an issue - colours should be stripped on pasting in browsers where an unreasonable amount of colour is kept on the clipboard.

Modifying it further, to also change user-specified colours, is infeasible because there's no general way to map all colours to visible alternatives without causing issues, because there's no way to have it be the same colour but be more legible (just changing the lightness/value doesn't really work).

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

It seems like a very fringe scenario to me, I rarely feel the need to use different colors in my posts and copy/paste problems can be easily fixed by the user by pasting without formatting.

Sometimes people don't

I believe a heavy use of colors is also discouraged in the Community Standards as it is distracting and can get in the way of reading, as you can see. Generally speaking, just avoid using colors for more than a couple of words at a time - it simply isn't needed.

I just used purple as an example. It could be defaulted to the automatic color, or with extra work, the color of the character pre-ceeding. 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't understand what you're asking

I was suggesting that the forum automatically scan the post to find color codes that are similar/exact color as the background for night/day themes, and automatically change the colors to a different color. 

30 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

If you are seeing posts with colours regularly, that is a bug.

The rare times it occurs, it's a bit annoying. 

Text used to be coloured black when pasted under certain circumstances, but that should no longer be an issue - colours should be stripped on pasting in browsers where an unreasonable amount of colour is kept on the clipboard.

Modifying it further, to also change user-specified colours, is infeasible because there's no general way to map all colours to visible alternatives without causing issues, because there's no way to have it be the same colour but be more legible (just changing the lightness/value doesn't really work).

I wasn't sure if there could be a default to prevent people from making unreadable text. 

Night users may have trouble reading things like this

I wasn't too sure how hard it'd be to implement as your post tools don't show HTML like some other forums where color codes are by numbers, or "red" "blue" etc.

Thanks for the answers though everyone!!

17 minutes ago, fpo said:

Ah, that is infinitely more clear.  I would like that feature too but I believe last time it was suggested, it was said that it's beyond the technical abilities of what can be done at the moment.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Like you are able to merge formatting when pasting on Microsoft Word for example. But I guess getting that to work between the browser and the site is a whole different animal. 

Edit: I just pasted some text in another thread, it detected I was pasting rich text gave me the option to paste as plan text instead. Whether or not people will both to click that is a different question. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 12/3/2017 at 8:23 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Like you are able to merge formatting when pasting on Microsoft Word for example. But I guess getting that to work between the browser and the site is a whole different animal. 

Edit: I just pasted some text in another thread, it detected I was pasting rich text gave me the option to paste as plan text instead. Whether or not people will both to click that is a different question. 

They don't bother xD and if they did, they would lose formatting that they probably didn't want to like links, etc. so it's not a perfect solution.