Harddribe beeping and not detected

Hey guys my harddrive suddenly stopped working after the pc went into sleep mode.

im running some samsung hdd with an asus tog strix b350f mobo ive tried using other cables. But the beeping kept happening

8 minutes ago, MitchG_ said:

Hey guys my harddrive suddenly stopped working after the pc went into sleep mode.

im running some samsung hdd with an asus tog strix b350f mobo ive tried using other cables. But the beeping kept happening

My guess is that the head on the hard drive is stuck. It makes a noise similar to a beep. Not much you can do do about this I am afraid, How old is the drive?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yeah it's dead.

I've heard you can 'temporarily' fix this issue by sticking the drive in a fully sealed Ziploc bag then sticking it in the freezer for an hour but I'm not sure I'd want to try it out.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Damn, it's fairly old. I mean if it's dead i might aswell try the freezer trick. 

ive also heard of knocking the drive on the end (not sata end) to unstick arm or actually unassembled to drive plate and manually move arm (unstick ) - re-assemble get data off and scrap drive

At this point it's dead...might as well try. It's not like you can make it worse. Think of it as a bit of fun. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Just now, jools said:

ive also heard of knocking the drive on the end (not sata end) to unstick arm or actually unassembled to drive plate and manually move arm (unstick ) - re-assemble get data off and scrap drive

Aren't hard drives filled with a noble gas to prevent rusting on the platter or am I imagining that?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I don't know but the drive will last long enough for data retrival ( apart from scratched area). These are last resort methods and only to be used on dieing drives. May not be stuck head could be failed main board in which case its swap mainboard and get firmware off original board with calibration data as most  drives have unique calib data, but this is where the professional come in.