Enabling nonbuiltin graphics card on laptop

Mr.Prime.HD

Hi there.

Few days ago i bought a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 3000. For 560Eur) for my self. For purpose of doing stuff on premiere pro and photo shop.

And i have also downloaded Fortnite.

My main thought is that it uses intel built in graphics card for some reason. How can i switch to other one??

My Laptop specs:

CPU: Intel i5-7200U 2.7ghz with turbo boost up to 3.1

Ram: 6GB

GPU: Radeon R5 M430 2GB

Do i have to disable integrated GPU or wat?

I'm not sure if it's changed since then, but when I got my laptop with switchable graphics, there were two modes you could choose from in the BIOS.

Fixed: this meant that you had to switch cards manually using the radeon software on Windows, but in either mode (iGPU or dGPU) everything would run on it as if the other did not exist

Dynamic: this meant that it would switch automatically and seamlessly when it detected an app needed the dGPU, but it didn't work with everything, even if you manually added certain apps to the list (for example it couldn't use the dGPU on any openGL applications, Minecraft most notably).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I should note my laptop didn't come that way though, at first, there was no setting and it was only ever in Dynamic, but with a BIOS update they added Fixed mode and the ability to choose between the two

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just checked out all bios. teher was nothing about fixed gpu. ;(

As i sayd this pc was not for gaming but now and then im willing to cachup. Till i get elgato.

On a lot of modern systems with switchable graphics: Right-click the exe > run with graphics processor > [choose the one you want]. 

Alternatively, the Radeon software (right-click desktop) should allow you to create per-app profiles, where you can choose which graphics processor you want to use for that application.

It's rarely found in the BIOS anymore, since the switching technology has gotten much better, to the point where it can be controlled entirely in the OS, per-app. There's no need for a setting in BIOS anymore. 

44 minutes ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

On a lot of modern systems with switchable graphics: Right-click the exe > run with graphics processor > [choose the one you want]. 

Alternatively, the Radeon software (right-click desktop) should allow you to create per-app profiles, where you can choose which graphics processor you want to use for that application.

It's rarely found in the BIOS anymore, since the switching technology has gotten much better, to the point where it can be controlled entirely in the OS, per-app. There's no need for a setting in BIOS anymore. 

ill chech that when i will get home

nope cant find such an option. Just downloaded ccleaner. It shows that intel integrated GPU is activated

@Radeon Switchable settings i find just this: Untitled.png.9c0c8c13b47561eb5f4e9044ac99c83d.png 

Where do i change that power plan to power. not balanced??

Edited by Mr.Prime.HD

maximize performance = prefer discrete Radeon graphics

maximize battery = prefer integrated intel graphics

power plan should always be balanced, otherwise it constantly runs all processors at max speed, instead of letting them adjust themselves. On modern processors this will actually restrict their ability to boost themselves resulting in reduced performance and increased heat.

also, the application settings on the left should let you choose the graphics processor per app. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Prime.HD said:

nope cant find such an option. Just downloaded ccleaner. It shows that intel integrated GPU is activated

@Radeon Switchable settings i find just this: Untitled.png.9c0c8c13b47561eb5f4e9044ac99c83d.png 

Where do i change that power plan to power. not balanced??

First of all (unrelated to this problem though) I'd switch the "on battery" plan to maximize battery life or whatever they call it since that is what you probably want.

Then, on the left where it says "switchable graphics application settings", look in there and see if you can add the app you want to the list and tell it you want the dGPU to run it.

I have removed batery. And will put in it only when needed to go somewhere. 

On 03/12/2017 at 6:42 PM, DOGC_Kyle said:

maximize performance = prefer discrete Radeon graphics

maximize battery = prefer integrated intel graphics

power plan should always be balanced, otherwise it constantly runs all processors at max speed, instead of letting them adjust themselves. On modern processors this will actually restrict their ability to boost themselves resulting in reduced performance and increased heat.

also, the application settings on the left should let you choose the graphics processor per app. 

Then i think my laptop ic kinda crap. cant run 1080p Frtnote with atleast 60fps :D

Someone close this topic

Edited by Mr.Prime.HD