Laptop won't turn on

Hi, so one or two years ago my brother bought a laptop it is the Asus R510J but just after the warranty ended, the laptop stopped turned on as well, there is no light turning on when pluging it, it just doesn't wants to charge batteries anymore.

The only way to turn it on again is to buy new batteries over and over each time it runs out of energy. The laptop has been used for only one year and we paid someone to try to replace the component inside but i'm not even sure he did something. I don't know what to do is there is really something to, the laptop looks perfect like if it was a new one it is really disappointing.

Is your power brick bad? Put a multi meter on it and make sure the voltages match what is printed on the supply.
is the port where the power plugs in bad, I have seen multiple laptops power ports get damage if someone trips over the cord or something like that, Usually you need to tweak the plug just right for it to make a good connection.

25 minutes ago, Thomas1001000 said:

Hi, so one or two years ago my brother bought a laptop it is the Asus R510J but just after the warranty ended, the laptop stopped turned on as well, there is no light turning on when pluging it, it just doesn't wants to charge batteries anymore.

The only way to turn it on again is to buy new batteries over and over each time it runs out of energy. The laptop has been used for only one year and we paid someone to try to replace the component inside but i'm not even sure he did something. I don't know what to do is there is really something to, the laptop looks perfect like if it was a new one it is really disappointing.

What did you pay someone to replace? Seems odd you would go that route rather than do a warranty repair. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

What did you pay someone to replace? Seems odd you would go that route rather than do a warranty repair. 

Because the warranty was over 

Just now, Thomas1001000 said:

Because the warranty was over 

Sounds messed up to me if the only way to turn it back on is to buy "new" batteries. I trick I usually do with my other Lenovo laptop that refuses to turn on is unplug it, remove the battery, then hold the power button for 30 seconds or so before plugging the power source back in and powering it on. Not exactly sure if that clears the CMOS or anything, but does seem to fix whatever is preventing that laptop from powering on. 

That being said, not sure how much help that is considering that if it can't even charge batteries, then there's probably something seriously wrong with the power circuitry of your laptop. Still worth a try I guess. Did the laptop experience any power surges or anything? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

19 minutes ago, Thomas1001000 said:

The only way to turn it on again is to buy new batteries over and over each time it runs out of energy.

So you're saying that the laptop would function normally if the battery was charged, and that the only problem is that the battery won't charge when its plugged into the wall?

If so I had a very similar problem. If you have a spare power cord I'd try to see if that works (or if you know what your doing with a voltmeter make sure your cord works). Next I'd look up a teardown video / guide for your specific laptop and see if the DC in jack is part of the motherboard or connected via some wires. Try reseating any connections that have to do with power (from the jack to the motherboard, from the battery to the motherboard etc.), and check for any damage. In my case, it turned out that when I shook the DC in jack (after removing it from the computer) I could hear something rattling inside it. Also, it would spark if I plugged in a power source, so it was pretty easy to see that it was the culprit. If you can't find any damage (loose wire, loose connection, fried daughterboard) then your out of luck.

I'm not sure how popular your computer is (I've never head of it before this) so it might be hard finding replacement parts (especially if you're outside the US).

If you have any more information / symptoms post them just in case we can narrow down what the problem could be.

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Sounds messed up to me if the only way to turn it back on is to buy "new" batteries. I trick I usually do with my other Lenovo laptop that refuses to turn on is unplug it, remove the battery, then hold the power button for 30 seconds or so before plugging the power source back in and powering it on. Not exactly sure if that clears the CMOS or anything, but does seem to fix whatever is preventing that laptop from powering on. 

That being said, not sure how much help that is considering that if it can't even charge batteries, then there's probably something seriously wrong with the power circuitry of your laptop. Still worth a try I guess. Did the laptop experience any power surges or anything? 

I don't think so i'm not home right now so i can't try but i will give a try to the 30 seconds thing tomorrow 

2 minutes ago, danejesse1 said:

So you're saying that the laptop would function normally if the battery was charged, and that the only problem is that the battery won't charge when its plugged into the wall?

If so I had a very similar problem. If you have a spare power cord I'd try to see if that works (or if you know what your doing with a voltmeter make sure your cord works). Next I'd look up a teardown video / guide for your specific laptop and see if the DC in jack is part of the motherboard or connected via some wires. Try reseating any connections that have to do with power (from the jack to the motherboard, from the battery to the motherboard etc.), and check for any damage. In my case, it turned out that when I shook the DC in jack (after removing it from the computer) I could hear something rattling inside it. Also, it would spark if I plugged in a power source, so it was pretty easy to see that it was the culprit. If you can't find any damage (loose wire, loose connection, fried daughterboard) then your out of luck.

I'm not sure how popular your computer is (I've never head of it before this) so it might be hard finding replacement parts (especially if you're outside the US).

If you have any more information / symptoms post them just in case we can narrow down what the problem could be.

I never used a mulimeter and i think i do have a power cord from a ps3 arround i will try tomorrow, for the replacement parts i don't really want to spend more since the repair guy we paid to check it was a bit expansive (I live in belgium so it would make it even harder to find the parts anyway) and about the symptoms the computer is not really showing any sign of life but i will try to give more detail tomorrow ^^

1 minute ago, Thomas1001000 said:

i think i do have a power cord from a ps3 arround i will try tomorrow

Power cords are usually rated for different voltages depending on the product. I'd make sure that the power cord won't do more damage if you plug it in.

20 minutes ago, danejesse1 said:

Power cords are usually rated for different voltages depending on the product. I'd make sure that the power cord won't do more damage if you plug it in.

Here is some informations that could help (My brother just told me that the guy just changed the part where you plug in the computer)

LaptopPower.jpg